Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at> on 2002/07/26 13:15:16 UTC

mdc & remote logging - DOH!

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

hi ceki!

[snip from code]

> Does this help?

actually, no. (bear with me, please)

i did look up the code, but it seems to me that the logging server
should use its own mdc only if no mdc-copy is found, and the mdc-copy
should be created before the logging event is serialized.

so, i don't see why the logging server does use its own, and not the
copy.

what am i missing, or am i just plain stupid? (equal chances, i guess
:)

rick

|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail:
><ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

- --
Ceki

- --
To unsubscribe, e-mail:

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
   /**
       Returns the the context corresponding to the <code>key</code>
       parameter. If there is a local MDC copy, possibly because we are
       in a logging server or running inside AsyncAppender, then we
       search for the key in MDC copy, if a value is found it is
       returned. Otherwise, if the search in MDC copy returns a null
       result, then the current thread's <code>MDC</code> is used.

       thread's MDC are searched.

   */
   public
   Object getMDC(String key) {
     Object r;
     // Note the mdcCopy is used if it exists. Otherwise we use the MDC
     // that is associated with the thread.
     if(mdcCopy != null) {
       r = mdcCopy.get(key);
       if(r != null) {
         return r;
       }
     }
     return MDC.get(key);
   }

Does this help?

At 14:22 26.07.2002 +0200, you wrote:

>--

Ceki

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

Re: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
See the source code for LoggingEvent.getMDC.

At 13:15 26.07.2002 +0200, peter riegersperger wrote:

>--

Ceki

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

I have added several test cases to check whether there is a problem
with the way the MDC is handled after serialization. I am happy to
report that the existing code works as it should.

Here are the remaining possibilities:

- You are mixing a client using log4j 1.1 with a server using log4j 1.2

- You are not setting the MDC key correctly

I suggest that you write a small test case reproducing the problem.

At 17:21 26.07.2002 +0200, peter riegersperger wrote:

>hi!
>
> > What is the architecture? In the following text everything seems to
> > be a server, so it is not easy to understand your architecture nor
> > your question. Can you please clarify?
>
>sorry for not making myself clear.
>actually, our situation is quite simple. we have multiple
>applications running on multiple hosts. every application uses log4j
>and a SocketAppender connecting to our logging application.
>the logging application has SocketNodes in several threads running
>(one SocketNode for each connecting application). the logging
>application writes all entries (including its own logging statements)
>into a file.
>
>In the applications, we put some information into the MDC to identify
>the source of the log entry. but (as stated in my original mail), the
>MDC in the log entry from the application gets overwritten by the MDC
>used in the logging application.
>
>for example, let's say i have application1 running on "host1"
>so i set MDC.put("hostname", "host1") in my application1.
>the logging application is runing on "logger", so i set
>MDC.put("hostname", "logger") there.
>
>when i log something in application1, the SocketAppender sends it to
>the SocketNode, and it gets written to the logfile by the logging
>application. but in the logfile, the logging events are tagged with
>"logger", instead of "host1".
>
>my question is: do i use the MDC and/or the network-functionality of
>log4j incorrectly, or is this the expected behaviour*? and if the
>latter is the case, is there some other way to get some sort of
>"tagging" for my log statements?
>
>thanks for your time,
>
>rick
>
>* the log4j api doc says about the SocketNode: "These logging events
>are logged according to local policy, as if they were generated
>locally.", which suggests that the local MDC is used?
>
>|-
>| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
>|-
>| subnet
>| platform for media art and experimental technologies
>|-
>| http://www.subnet.at/
>|-
>| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
>|-
>| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
>|-

Ceki

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 17:21 26.07.2002 +0200, peter riegersperger wrote:

>hi!
>
> > What is the architecture? In the following text everything seems to
> > be a server, so it is not easy to understand your architecture nor
> > your question. Can you please clarify?
>
>sorry for not making myself clear.
>actually, our situation is quite simple. we have multiple
>applications running on multiple hosts. every application uses log4j
>and a SocketAppender connecting to our logging application.
>the logging application has SocketNodes in several threads running
>(one SocketNode for each connecting application). the logging
>application writes all entries (including its own logging statements)
>into a file.
>
>In the applications, we put some information into the MDC to identify
>the source of the log entry. but (as stated in my original mail), the
>MDC in the log entry from the application gets overwritten by the MDC
>used in the logging application.
>
>for example, let's say i have application1 running on "host1"
>so i set MDC.put("hostname", "host1") in my application1.
>the logging application is runing on "logger", so i set
>MDC.put("hostname", "logger") there.
>
>when i log something in application1, the SocketAppender sends it to
>the SocketNode, and it gets written to the logfile by the logging
>application. but in the logfile, the logging events are tagged with
>"logger", instead of "host1".

That should not be the case. You should see host1. Let me double check.

--
Ceki

RE: mdc & remote logging - DOH!

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

hi!

> What is the architecture? In the following text everything seems to
> be a server, so it is not easy to understand your architecture nor
> your question. Can you please clarify?

sorry for not making myself clear.
actually, our situation is quite simple. we have multiple
applications running on multiple hosts. every application uses log4j
and a SocketAppender connecting to our logging application.
the logging application has SocketNodes in several threads running
(one SocketNode for each connecting application). the logging
application writes all entries (including its own logging statements)
into a file.

In the applications, we put some information into the MDC to identify
the source of the log entry. but (as stated in my original mail), the
MDC in the log entry from the application gets overwritten by the MDC
used in the logging application.

for example, let's say i have application1 running on "host1"
so i set MDC.put("hostname", "host1") in my application1.
the logging application is runing on "logger", so i set
MDC.put("hostname", "logger") there.

when i log something in application1, the SocketAppender sends it to
the SocketNode, and it gets written to the logfile by the logging
application. but in the logfile, the logging events are tagged with
"logger", instead of "host1".

my question is: do i use the MDC and/or the network-functionality of
log4j incorrectly, or is this the expected behaviour*? and if the
latter is the case, is there some other way to get some sort of
"tagging" for my log statements?

thanks for your time,

rick

* the log4j api doc says about the SocketNode: "These logging events
are logged according to local policy, as if they were generated
locally.", which suggests that the local MDC is used?

|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

Re: mdc & remote logging - DOH!