Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro> on 2010/12/06 20:28:40 UTC

conTest

Hi,

last weekend I read and very much enjoyed the book "clean code". This great
book contains two chapters on concurrency and recommends to use a tool from
IBM "conTest"[2] to test concurrent code.

This tool fiddles with the byte code of classes under test to increase the
frequency of context switches. Thus conTest tries to make concurrency bugs
more visible, that would normally occur only after many months of production
runs.

conTest also can produce a list of classes that are affected by concurrent
code ("Concurrent coverage").

I ran the ZooKeeper tests on my laptop. While the testsuite did never fail on
my machine(TM) before, conTest produced three test failures.

Unfortunatly conTest is not (yet) open source, but free of cost available
after registration.

[1] Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship (Robert C. Martin)
[2] http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/contest

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Re: conTest

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.
There is one called SureLogic that has been licensed to the Hadoop
project somehow,

Check it here:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToUseConcurrencyAnalysisTools

I have never used any of them, but thought it may be useful.

Cheers,
Anthony

Re: conTest

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Just FYI,

Thomas Koch:

Re: conTest

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Hey, that's great. Can you enter JIRAs for the issues?

I just got "clean code" in last week, I look forward to reading it.

Patrick