Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com> on 2009/01/22 11:24:02 UTC

CapabilityMap returned a null media type

I've developed a portal using spring portal mvc and deployed it on jetspeed
portal server. Everything was fine until recently (say for the past 1
month), when we try to access the portal it gives "Null media Type" error on
the browser.

My portal front page (index page) has some images and a flash animation on
it.

One more thing is i modified portal features from jetspeed (i modified
header.vm, footer.vm etc) to arrive at my desired page layout. It works
perfectly fine and suddeenly it gives the following error. Once we receive
this error, only way to get out of it is to restart the server. Since we are
going to release the alpha very soon, i need to fix this error at the
earliest. So, any help/clue in this regard is highly appreciable.

The error thrown on the browser is as below:

********************************
type Exception report
message
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Fatal error encountered while processing
portal request: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException:
CapabilityMap returned a null media type
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:251)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.jetspeed.engine.servlet.XXSUrlAttackFilter.doFilter(XXSUrlAttackFilter.java:52)
root cause
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: CapabilityMap returned a
null media type

org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.CapabilityValveImpl.invoke(CapabilityValveImpl.java:78)

org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline$Invocation.invokeNext(JetspeedPipeline.java:167)

org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invoke(JetspeedPipeline.java:146)
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.service(JetspeedEngine.java:227)
	org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:242)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

org.apache.jetspeed.engine.servlet.XXSUrlAttackFilter.doFilter(XXSUrlAttackFilter.java:52)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/5.5.23 logs.
********************************

Can anybody tell me what is causing this error? If you need any further info
on the code/architecture, pls tell me. I ready to provide the info.

Please help me to solve this error at the earliest.

Thanks so much.

Re: CapabilityMap returned a null media type

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jan 24, 2009, at 8:14 PM, laxmiraghu wrote:

> Again, today our web site experienced "CapabilityMap returned a null
> media
> type" error. Anyone, please help to resolve this error. It will be
> great
> help to us.
>
> I saw in /usr/local/Jetspeed-2.1.3/webapps/jetspeed/logs/
> jetspeed.log and
> found the following exception.
>

> 2009-01-25 07:33:28,674 [http-8080-Processor21] ERROR
> org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities -
> CapabilityServiceImpl: getMediaTypesForMimeTypes ->
> getMediaTypeClass query
> used invalid class
> org.springframework.dao.DataAccessResourceFailureException: OJB
> operation;
> SQL []; The last packet successfully received from the server was61841
> seconds ago.The last packet sent successfully to the server was 61841
> seconds ago, which  is longer than the server configured value of
> 'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing
> connection validity before use in your application, increasing the
> server
> configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J
> connection
> property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem.; nested
> exception is
> com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last
> packet
> successfully received from the server was61841 seconds ago.The last
> packet
> sent successfully to the server was 61841 seconds ago, which  is
> longer than
> the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider
> either
> expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your
> application,
> increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or
> using the
> Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this
> problem.
> Caused by:
> com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: The last
> packet
> successfully received from the server was61841 seconds ago.The last
> packet
> sent successfully to the server was 61841 seconds ago, which  is
> longer than
> the server configured value of 'wait_timeout'. You should consider
> either
> expiring and/or testing connection validity before use in your
> application,
> increasing the server configured values for client timeouts, or
> using the
> Connector/J connection property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this
> problem.
>        at
> sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor71.newInstance(Unknown
> Source)

Sounds like your MySQL connection is timing out due to inactivity.
I used to believe there was a MySQL JDBC autoreconnect property you
can use for ex:

jdbc:mysql://localhost/test?autoReconnect=true

I think this setting may be deprecated.
I just tested it and it does not work for me. I killed the connection
using MySQL  Administrator, and this setting had no effect.
Im using 5.1.6 of the MySQL Connector, and  MySQL version  5.0.67

There are two my.cnf settings you can add to your My SQL
configuration. Look at "interactive-timeout" and "wait-timeout"
settings.
Or you can set that via the MySQL Admin program under Options-
 >Advanced Networking. Set it to a value greater than the longest
period of interactivity
It defaults to 28800, which is 8 hours.  Try some value greater than
your longest inactivity, say a long weekend

# 3 days
interactive-timeout=259200
wait-timeout=259200

I think a better solution would be to shorten the timeout of the JDBC
connection pool on the Jetspeed side (OJB),  I will look into this,
but for now the settings above should solve the problem

Re: CapabilityMap returned a null media type

Posted by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks so much David for the help.

I did the necessary changes you mentioned. Hope i won't get that problem
again.

Please let me know how to set the timeout period of JDBC Connection.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

Re: CapabilityMap returned a null media type

Posted by David Sean Taylor <dt...@onehippo.com>.

Posted by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

        at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:406)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:1074)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:3246)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2060)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2542)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1734)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1885)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:93)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.JdbcAccessImpl.executeQuery(JdbcAccessImpl.java:312)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsQueryObject.performQuery(RsQueryObject.java:74)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RsIterator.<init>(RsIterator.java:185)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.RsIteratorFactoryImpl.createRsIterator(RsIteratorFactoryImpl.java:58)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getRsIteratorFromQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1918)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getIteratorFromQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1493)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker.getCollectionByQuery(QueryReferenceBroker.java:112)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker.getCollectionByQuery(QueryReferenceBroker.java:251)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker.getCollectionByQuery(QueryReferenceBroker.java:271)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.getCollectionByQuery(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java:1367)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getCollectionByQuery(DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:338)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.DelegatingPersistenceBroker.getCollectionByQuery(DelegatingPersistenceBroker.java:338)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate$3.doInPersistenceBroker(PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:192)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate.execute(PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:138)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate.executeFind(PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:159)
        at
org.springframework.orm.ojb.PersistenceBrokerTemplate.getCollectionByQuery(PersistenceBrokerTemplate.java:190)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities.getMediaTypesForMimeTypes(JetspeedCapabilities.java:394)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities.getCapabilityMap(JetspeedCapabilities.java:226)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor109.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:304)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:139)
        at
org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:107)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:161)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)

        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:161)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
        at $Proxy0.getCapabilityMap(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.CapabilityValveImpl.invoke(CapabilityValveImpl.java:65)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline$Invocation.invokeNext(JetspeedPipeline.java:167)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invoke(JetspeedPipeline.java:146)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.service(JetspeedEngine.java:227)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:242)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at
org.apache.jetspeed.engine.servlet.XXSUrlAttackFilter.doFilter(XXSUrlAttackFilter.java:52)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:210)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:151)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:870)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:65)
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:123)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:3227)
        ... 59 more
2009-01-25 07:33:28,682 [http-8080-Processor21] ERROR
org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities -
CapabilityServiceImpl: getMediaType query used invalid class
org.springframework.dao.DataAccessResourceFailureException: OJB operation;
SQL []; No operations allowed after connection closed.Connection was
implicitly closed due to underlying exception/error:

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException
MESSAGE: The last packet successfully received from the server was61841
seconds ago.The last packet sent successfully to the server was 61841
seconds ago, which  is longer than the server configured value of
'wait_timeout'. You should consider either expiring and/or testing
connection validity before use in your application, increasing the server
configured values for client timeouts, or using the Connector/J connection
property 'autoReconnect=true' to avoid this problem.

STACKTRACE:
[...]

** END NESTED EXCEPTION **

Re: CapabilityMap returned a null media type

Posted by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Here is the code of CapabilityValveImpl . Actually when MediaType is Null,
this particular exception is thrown. I don't know how to set this mediatype.
If anyone know of any solution to this problem, please help. Thanks so much.

**************** code starts here **************
   public class CapabilityValveImpl implements CapabilityValve
   {
       private static final Log log =
LogFactory.getLog(CapabilityValveImpl.class);
  -    String resourceDefault;        // the default name for a resource
  +    String resourceDefault; // the default name for a resource
       private Capabilities capabilities;
  -
  -    public CapabilityValveImpl(Capabilities capabilities)
  +
  +    public CapabilityValveImpl( Capabilities capabilities )
       {
           this.capabilities = capabilities;
       }
  -
  +
       /**
  -      * Initialize the valve before using in a pipeline.
  -      */
  +     * Initialize the valve before using in a pipeline.
  +     */
       public void initialize() throws PipelineException
       {

       }
  -
  -
  -    public void invoke(RequestContext request, ValveContext context)
  -        throws PipelineException
  +
  +    public void invoke( RequestContext request, ValveContext context )
throws PipelineException
       {
  -        try
  +
  +        String requestMediaType =
request.getRequestParameter(ProfilingRule.STANDARD_MEDIATYPE);
  +        String agent = request.getRequest().getHeader("User-Agent");
  +
  +        // Get capability map
  +        CapabilityMap cm = capabilities.getCapabilityMap(agent);
  +
  +        if (cm == null)
           {
  -            String requestMediaType =
request.getRequestParameter(ProfilingRule.STANDARD_MEDIATYPE);
  -            String agent = request.getRequest().getHeader("User-Agent");
  -
  -
  -            // Get capability map
  -            CapabilityMap cm = capabilities.getCapabilityMap(agent);
  -
  -            if ( cm == null)
  -            {
  -                log.debug("Couldn't create capability map for agent: " +
agent);
  -            }
  -            else
  -            {
  -                log.debug("Created Capability map for agent: " + agent);
  -            }
  -
  -            MediaType mediaType = cm.getPreferredMediaType();

  -            MimeType mimeType = cm.getPreferredType();
  -
  -            if(mediaType == null)
  -            {
  -                log.error("CapabilityMap returned a null media type");
  -                throw new PipelineException("CapabilityMap returned a
null media type");
  -            }
  -
  -            if(mimeType == null)
  -            {
  -                log.error("CapabilityMap returned a null mime type");
  -                throw new PipelineException("CapabilityMap returned a
null mime type");
  -            }
  -
  -            String encoding =
request.getRequest().getCharacterEncoding();
  -
  -
  -            if (encoding == null)
  -            {
  -                if (mediaType != null && mediaType.getCharacterSet() !=
null)
  -                {
  -                    encoding = mediaType.getCharacterSet();
  -                }
  -            }
  -
  -            if (log.isDebugEnabled())
  -            {
  -                log.debug("MediaType: " + mediaType.getName());
  -                log.debug("Encoding: "  + encoding);
  -                log.debug("Mimetype: "  + mimeType.getName());
  -            }
  -
  -            // Put the encoding in the request
  -            request.setCharacterEncoding(encoding);
  -
  -            // Put the CapabilityMap into the request
  -            request.setCapabilityMap(cm);
  -
  -            // Put the Media Type into the request
  -            request.setMediaType(mediaType.getName());
  -
  -            // Put the Mime Type into the request
  -            request.setMimeType(mimeType.getName());
  -
  -            // Put the Mime Type and Charset into the response
  -            StringBuffer contentType = new
StringBuffer(mimeType.getName());
  -            if (encoding != null)
  +            log.debug("Couldn't create capability map for agent: " +
agent);
  +        }
  +        else
  +        {
  +            log.debug("Created Capability map for agent: " + agent);
  +        }
  +
  +        MediaType mediaType = cm.getPreferredMediaType();
  +        MimeType mimeType = cm.getPreferredType();
  +
  +        if (mediaType == null)
  +        {
  +            log.error("CapabilityMap returned a null media type");
  +            throw new PipelineException("CapabilityMap returned a null
media type");
  +        }
  +
  +        if (mimeType == null)
  +        {
  +            log.error("CapabilityMap returned a null mime type");
  +            throw new PipelineException("CapabilityMap returned a null
mime type");
  +        }
  +
  +        String encoding = request.getRequest().getCharacterEncoding();
  +
  +        if (encoding == null)
  +        {
  +            if (mediaType != null && mediaType.getCharacterSet() != null)
               {
  -                contentType.append("; charset=" + encoding);
  +                encoding = mediaType.getCharacterSet();
               }
  -            request.getResponse().setContentType(contentType.toString());
  -        }
  -        catch (Exception e)
  +        }
  +
  +        if (log.isDebugEnabled())
  +        {
[...]
  -            e.printStackTrace();
  -            throw new PipelineException(e.getMessage(), e);
  +            contentType.append("; charset=" + encoding);
           }
  +        request.getResponse().setContentType(contentType.toString());
  +
           // Pass control to the next Valve in the Pipeline
           context.invokeNext(request);
       }

Re: CapabilityMap returned a null media type

Posted by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks VIvek.

Actaully the error appears in firefox as well. SO, it may not be IE issue
alone.

I checked the jetspeed.log file. IT's empty. May be, next time that error
occurs, i need to watch that file. WE just restarted the server today
evening.

Actually i changed the layout files of jetspeed - header.vm, footer.vm,
layout.vm and decorator.vm files of jetspeed to arrive at my desired layout.
Will there be something causing this error? If need be, i can send those
files to you.

Thanks again. IF you have any clue, pls mention. Thanks for helping again. I
need to resolve this error by next MOnday.

Posted by Vivek Kumar <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Vivek Kumar <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

In that case there can be only two things now

Jetspeed database in not populated correctly or you are not able to
connect to data.
There is some there while starting the jetspeed.

Please check jetspeed.log under /logs folder of jetspeed.

Posted by laxmiraghu <la...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Vivek Kumar <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi