Posted to bsf-user@jakarta.apache.org by Di Li <07...@acadiau.ca> on 2006/12/06 18:33:33 UTC

Cannot download BSF

Hi there,

Is anyone able to download BSF binary or source code? I tried yesterday and
this afternoon but only ended up with an error message.

"Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@apache.org and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.

"

Anyone can help?

Thanks

Jython and JRuby accessing BSF variables ... (Re: Cannot download BSF

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Di Li,

Di Li wrote:
> I want to use Jython and JRuby with BSF. And I need to set up dynamic
> variables for scripts? For example, in BeanShell, we can do it using
> "interpreter.set(String, Object)", which is the same as in Jython. And in
> JRuby, we can use "DynamicVariable.set(String, IRubyOjbect)".
>
> Is there any way to do the same thing in BSF?

hmm, not being acquainted with the Jython and JRuby implementations
myself, maybe some comments that might help you:

    * Java programs may register "beans" which are stored in the
      BSFRegistry using a String as an index; the BSF engines usually
      supply a funtion/method to look up such beans, if you supply the
      index name (for Jython you will find BSF samples; if you can come
      up with small samples for JRuby, please consider to make them
      available, such that we can add them to the BSF samples)
          o You can look up the source of these BSF engines for Jython
            (part of the BSF distribution
            <org/apache/bsf/engines/jython>) and JRuby (should be
            available via their homepage)
    * Usually Java implemented languages have means "on board" that
      allow setting/retrieving variable values the way you are seeking.
          o Should you want to add missing functionality, then you would
            probably want to make it available via the respective BSF
            engines (at least you need to retrieve the interpreter
            instance you will be using via BSF).

HTH (and good luck!),

---rony

RE: Cannot download BSF

Posted by Di Li <07...@acadiau.ca>.
Hi there

Thank you for your help. I have installed BSF. I just have another question
here.

I want to use Jython and JRuby with BSF. And I need to set up dynamic
variables for scripts? For example, in BeanShell, we can do it using
"interpreter.set(String, Object)", which is the same as in Jython. And in
JRuby, we can use "DynamicVariable.set(String, IRubyOjbect)".

Is there any way to do the same thing in BSF?

Thank you.

Di Li

Re: Cannot download BSF

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Di Li,
> I just googled a little bit this morning and it turned out that the server
> for downloading works well actually. I guess the only part that goes wrong
> is just the web server.
>
> Anyway, I downloaded the bsf 2.4.0 by from
> http://apache.sunsite.ualberta.ca/jakarta/bsf/
>
> Well, I still got problems when I tried to compile source code using ant.
> The error massage said that one file named "build-properties.xml" was
> missing.

Hmm, I enclosed it for you (it should come with the source).

Regars,

---rony

RE: Cannot download BSF

Posted by Di Li <07...@acadiau.ca>.
Hi, there

I just googled a little bit this morning and it turned out that the server
for downloading works well actually. I guess the only part that goes wrong
is just the web server.

Anyway, I downloaded the bsf 2.4.0 by from
http://apache.sunsite.ualberta.ca/jakarta/bsf/

Well, I still got problems when I tried to compile source code using ant.
The error massage said that one file named "build-properties.xml" was
missing.

I am pretty sure that "build-properties.xml" isn't included in the source
codes.

Is that a file that I'm supposed to write by myself?

Thanks

Di Li

Hmm, how about another link for the download? (Re: Cannot download BSF

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanka,

as you have seen, the link to our BSF download page is broken. Not sure
what the reason is (maybe emplyoing a script?), have e-mailed the
webmaster, but have not heard anything back.

A student has hinted at the following link that works:
<http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/bsf/>. Maybe we should use that link
instead of the present one, what do you think?

---

Also, how about contemplating a location for some "latest (but
unofficial)" build, such that users can always get at a binary which is
at the latest level?

Regards,

---rony