Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Samuel Langlois <sa...@antelink.com> on 2011/01/20 19:40:43 UTC

Encoding of svn log on Windows

Hello

I would like to know (and hopefully set!) the encoding used by svn log.
(I know about the --xml option, which works fine, but it is not easily
readable by a human.)

 From what I see, it outputs ISO8859-1, so European àcçeñts are OK, but
Japanese, Chinese, etc. characters are output as question marks (?).
Is there a way, configuring either svn or Windows, to make it produce
UTF-8 ?
It seems somewhat linked to the mysterious "Language for non-Unicode
programs" setting in the Regional Settings, but I could not make it work.

Thank you for your help.

--
Samuel Langlois
QA Director - Antelink

Re: Encoding of svn log on Windows

Posted by Samuel Langlois <sa...@antelink.com>.
Le 21/01/2011 08:35, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
> On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:40, Samuel Langlois wrote:
>
>> I would like to know (and hopefully set!) the encoding used by svn log.
>> (I know about the --xml option, which works fine, but it is not easily readable by a human.)
>>
>>  From what I see, it outputs ISO8859-1, so European àcçeñts are OK, but Japanese, Chinese, etc. characters are output as question marks (?).
>> Is there a way, configuring either svn or Windows, to make it produce UTF-8 ?
>> It seems somewhat linked to the mysterious "Language for non-Unicode programs" setting in the Regional Settings, but I could not make it work.
> My understanding was that Subversion log entries are always stored as UTF-8 in the repository, and that the conversion to and from your system's character encoding, if different from UTF-8, are handled by your client, in response to things like (on UNIX-like operating systems) the LANG environment variable (not sure what Windows uses for that).

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, that's exactly the point: what does Windows use for that... and is
svn complying to it?
On Unix, you are right: it works perfectly well when you play with the
LANG variable.

But on Windows, svn log always outputs ISO8859-1 characters.
I tried fiddling with the chcp command or using cmd /U or changing
things in the Regional Settings... no way.
Again, it works well with svn log --xml, so it is really a matter of svn
log deciding which encoding it speaks.

Thank you

Samuel

Re: Encoding of svn log on Windows