Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/16 16:27:38 UTC

2.1 Release -- Banging the drum

All,
This note is a bit overdue (it's been a distracting start to the New
Year for me). Time, IMO, for us to get focused on our 2.1 release.

As David Jencks has pointed out. We need to start cleaning out the 2.1
Jiras. It looks like I've got several open that have been fixed,
either by additional development activities or redundant jira's. First
step is to take a look at Jira's that you've created and make sure
they are still valid and if you think it's important that they be
fixed for 2.1.

We also need to be taking a close look at our current functionality.
Make sure things are working the way we want them to... Especially
need to cast a critical eye on our the usability aspects of the new
2.1. Along the way, will be great if we can start pulling docs together.

I started running tests last night. Right away, I'm noticing little
things like warning messages being sent to STDOUT, etc. I'll start
registering problem areas that I'm seeing.

I'd like to set a target of 2 weeks for reviewing and fixing problems.
After that would start the branching, final tck, and packaging work.
If we feel this might negatively impact post-2.1 development
activities. We can consider creating a 2.1 branch sooner...

Thoughts?

--kevan

Re: 2.1 Release -- Banging the drum

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
BTW when we branch for 2.1 I plan to remove the jaspi dependent code
and remove the jaspi spec dependency.

meanwhile someone :-) should make sure the in-vote specs pass the tck.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Aighty, sounds good to me :-)

--jason

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I guess that Kevan needs to chime in on that ... but I think Friday is
still reasonable to branch and start the release work if we can get the
critical issues resolved by then.

I've been running TCK continuously and fixing and/or pointing things out
when I notice problems.  We're generally at 100% with problems creeping
up every few days and getting resolved.

Joe

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Jan 20, 2008 5:13 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you ok with the 2 week target for reviewing the current trunk codebase
> and resolving issues?

I'm ok as long as it won't take us longer than 2 weeks to release
Geronimo 2.1 "as is" with all identified issues described in
RELEASE_NOTES or such.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: 2.1 Release -- Banging the drum

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Jan 22, 2008 12:44 AM, Jay D. McHugh <ja...@jnwd.net> wrote:
> +1 - Two weeks sounds good to me.

It's 6 days ago when Kevan put it to discussion so it's really a week
away from that day ;-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: 2.1 Release -- Banging the drum

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> +1 - Two weeks sounds good to me.
>
> The big feature that I had been waiting for was the Dojo upgrade and
> that is done.
>
> I can start looking at the 'STDOUT' messages.
>
> I would assume that sending messages to the console during tests
> would be fine (yes?) and that the problem would really be when
> messages from a running server get sent there as well.
>
> Or should even the test messages be getting sent to a log?

Well, I was thinking of warning/error messages that aren't really
warning/error messages. For example:

19:25:17,715 WARN  [AbstractGBeanReference] GBean references are not
using proxies

and the Tomcat restricted listeners error message...

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@jnwd.net>.
+1 - Two weeks sounds good to me.

The big feature that I had been waiting for was the Dojo upgrade and
that is done.

I can start looking at the 'STDOUT' messages.

I would assume that sending messages to the console during tests would
be fine (yes?) and that the problem would really be when messages from a
running server get sent there as well.

Or should even the test messages be getting sent to a log?

Jay