Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/23 20:05:28 UTC

[VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Hi everyone,

A group of developers have approached us with a contribution of code
to patch iBATIS so that it supports SQLJ.

If you've never heard of SQLJ, here are two links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQLJ
http://www.google.com/trends?q=sqlj

The future of SQLJ is not clear to me, nor is its adoption rate over
time.  Certainly iBATIS has a broader user base than SQLJ does.

So the question is:  Should we support SQLJ as a feature of iBATIS?

+5  ==  Absolutely... iBATIS will be better for it.
+1  ==  Yes, support SQLJ.
 0  ==  Doesn't matter to me.
-1  ==  No, keep them separate.
-5  ==  No way.  iBATIS is better off without it.

This vote will remain open for 72 hours.

Cheers,
Clinton

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by prakashtgt <pr...@target.com>.
+5

I vote +5 for this. We are looking forward to use SQLJ in our enterprise
application.

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.
Thanks Jeff. Are you referring to 'org.ibatis.sqlj.ui_1.0.0.jar' on the
JIRA as plugin JAR. I cross checked that,  it doesnt contain it. (You are
probably referring to the post on the user group where we made it available
for the Prakash from Target  - yes it was an error. Is there a way i can
remove it from Nabble)

I am game for your offer of supporting it as an external tool. So going by
Clinton, it looks like in ib3 that will possible. For ib2, we probably did
that when we started out, but its too long back for me to remember. We will
come up with a proposal for what the minimal refactoring is required in ib2
to support this externally without heartburn to both sides.

BTW ib3 is a totally different code base right ?

thanks
Mario

             Jeff Butler
             <jeffgbutler@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       user-java@ibatis.apache.org
             24/01/2009 04:46                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support
             user-java@ibatis.         SQLJ?
                apache.org

Thanks Mario - the DB2 driver is in the plugin JAR.

I think precompiled packages are the only real benefit of SQLJ - and
they are often misunderstood by folks who haven't worked on enterprise
class databases.  So I'll grant you a benefit there.

What I'd like to see is some way to be able to add this to iBATIS as
an external tool, without having to include it in the base iBATIS
code.  That way we could see what the adoption rate is before we
commit to maintaining it as a part of the regular iBATIS code base.
It sounds like that may be easier to do with iBATIS3.

Is there some minimal change we could make to the iBATIS2 code to
allow you to supply this as a purely external tool?

Jeff Butler

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholoz Koka Kiknadze <ki...@gmail.com>.
0  ==  Doesn't matter to me

Absolutely

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Ian Zabel <ia...@ezabel.com>.
0

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Jeff Stahl <je...@earthlink.net>.
+5 - Definitely.

I'd vote higher, as SQLJ support is long overdue for open source DBs,
but the sooner the better.

Perfect, and thank you for getting on this.

Jeff Stahl

Re: Unsubscribe

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.

Larry

Unsubscribe

Posted by Westgård Trond <tr...@imr.no>.

Posted by Thomas Duffey <td...@utilivisor.com>.
-1

Posted by "Grigoras, Vasile" <vg...@Infomedics.com>.
+1

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
Urhm, +1 on that...still -5 on the SQLJ support. :-P

Larry

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sundar Sankar <fa...@gmail.com>.
+1.  Support to all databases is definitely a great plus to have.

-Sundar

Posted by Zhubin Salehi <zh...@yahoo.com>.
0

Posted by Giovanni Cuccu <gi...@gmail.com>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
RE: iB3... It definitely will, as you can override the configuration
class entirely.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Brandon Goodin

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.
thanks for the appreciation. FWIW we will provide the maintenance.

             Brandon Goodin
             <brandon.goodin@g
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                       user-java@ibatis.apache.org
             24/01/2009 02:39                                           cc

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
-5

Posted by Jan Kriesten <kr...@mail.footprint.de>.
> -1  ==  No, keep them separate.

Regards, --- Jan.

RE: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Reuben Firmin <re...@benetech.org>.
-1

Re: [RESULT] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.
thanks clinton. Graciously accepted.

We welcome the contributors to either find a way to add this support
without modifying the iBATIS source code.
<<

Assumed following Jeff's suggestion, a simple 'Executor' registration
mechanism is acceptable.

thanks
Mario

             Clinton Begin
             <clinton.begin@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       iBatis Java Mail List
             27/01/2009 04:19          <us...@ibatis.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             user-java@ibatis.         [RESULT] Should iBATIS support
                apache.org             SQLJ?

The vote to officially accept the contribution of SQLJ support to the
core iBATIS source base has failed.

  *  A quick count count of all votes (unofficial, but conclusive;
binding and non-binding) yields:
      - 5 votes for,
      - 5 votes impartial, and
      - 10 votes against.
  * Two votes in favor can be counted from the contributors.
  * All binding votes were against.

It is clear that the community does not show a great deal of support
for SQLJ, nor do the committers, thus iBATIS will not officially
support SQLJ.  iBATIS 2.x development has stabilized to maintenance
only.  Thus we do not expect further major changes or features to be
introduced, as development of iBATIS 3.0 nears  Alpha stage.

We welcome the contributors to either find a way to add this support
without modifying the iBATIS source code, or by forking the source and
maintaining their own parallel release.

Best regards,
Clinton Begin

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
-5

IMO, this is a dying technology.

Larry

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Kai Grabfelder <no...@kaigrabfelder.de>.
0, doesn't matter to me

Posted by Jiming Liu <ji...@gmail.com>.
-5, it is a dying technology.

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.
We see it as 'iBATIS uses JDBC',  'iBATIS can also use SQLJ'

Mario

             Clinton Begin
             <clinton.begin@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       user-java@ibatis.apache.org
             27/01/2009 04:05                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support
             user-java@ibatis.         SQLJ?
                apache.org

The only problem I have with this logic is that we could add a LOT to
iBATIS that wouldn't impact our users.  The question is not "can", the
question is "should".

SQLJ was one of the technologies that was available when I started
iBATIS, and it wasn't good enough. Since then iBATIS has earned
significantly more users and has achieved greater market penetration
than SQLJ.  It can be said that this success is directly related not
only to what iBATIS *is*, but also to what it is *not*.

I believe the only reason iBATIS has survived where other ORMs have
not (in the wake of Hibernate's dominance) is that it's different.
Different from ORM, different from JDBC, different from SQLJ....

iBATIS is unique.  To add something like SQLJ to iBATIS would take
away from what iBATIS is.

Therefore, I'll now cast my vote:

-5

Cheers,
Clinton

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.
Apologies for being late. It was a long weekend down here.

0

I agree it¹s a dying technology, but if the contributors are willing to
maintain it and it won¹t affect performance for non SQLJ implementations...

Z.

Posted by "C.F-Win in China F" <we...@gmail.com>.
-5

Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?

Posted by Mario Ds Briggs <ma...@in.ibm.com>.
Since the comments that folks are mentioning while voting is regards to the
whether this is dying technology or not, it is appropriate to share the
contributing group's thought on this.

The contributors are not bothered if this dying technology, resurrecting
technology or anything else. That is missing the point. Jeff Butler hit the
nail on the head about the benefit of precompiled packages for enterprise
classes of databases. The contributors feel that if you have that
requirement, it shouldnt mean that you should miss out of using frameworks
like iBatis, Spring etc. The contributors are aware of a few situations
where users faced this EITHER OR choice and the goal is to ensure it doesnt
have to be a EITHER OR choice anymore.

thanks
Mario

             Mario Ds
             Briggs/India/IBM@
             IBMIN                                                      To
                                       user-java@ibatis.apache.org
             24/01/2009 06:11                                           cc
                                       iBatis Java Mail List
                                       <us...@ibatis.apache.org>
             user-java@ibatis.         Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support
                apache.org             SQLJ?

While i agreed to Jeff's request of seeing how this can be externalized
with some minimal refactoring to ibatis 2, FWIW i still thought it is  fair
to the ibatis users/community (especially those who dont know anything
about SQLJ which one can safely assume is the majority) about what this
patch means, since folks are still voting...

1- Absolutely no change to the way you build and use ibatis applications.
You wont see/feel anything change.
2 - There wont even be an additional jar (SQLJ.jar) that will be forced
down your throat to download and keep on your machine or to satisfy
compile/runtime dependencies.
3- It is a simple 3 java files with no external dependencies that get added
to ibatis source code.

thanks
Mario

             Clinton Begin
             <clinton.begin@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       iBatis Java Mail List
             24/01/2009 00:35          <us...@ibatis.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

             user-java@ibatis.         [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?