Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Patrick Rhomberg <pr...@apache.org> on 2018/10/01 20:44:19 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Transitive dependencies and internal .pom changes

> Patrick, you just mentioned the java-library plugin's ability to
> distinguish between api and implementation dependencies. Geode doesn't use
> that plugin yet AFAIK, nor does the PR introduce that plugin right?

That is correct, we do not yet make use of the `java-library` plugin (which
has the `implementation` and `api` configurations) and are still using the
`java` plugin (and rely on the `compile` configurations).  I brought it up
only to mention that there will be a great deal of inter-module build
breakages if we were to try to transition to using `implementation` while
our actual dependencies of each module were not yet explicit.

And yeah, all of this is on the road to Java9 modules.

As for accepting this PR, there are still multiple issues with it as it
stands -- I mostly opened it in its current state to spur this discussion.
I'm was going to go open a handful of tickets so that each individual PR
and commit are more bite-sized.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
I think it would be easier to review and discuss these changes with smaller, more focused PR’s.  Is there a way to split up these changes?  That would help me a lot and I would be less concerned about introducing a problem with our POM’s / dependencies.

Thanks,
Anthony

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.