Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 1996/06/22 02:31:47 UTC

New defines

I seem to recall awhile ago someone suggesting not using such #defines
as HAVE_WHATEVER, in case we move to some sort of autoconf process.

If desired, I'll edit the code to sed all the HAVE_ to USE_ if that's
OK.

Let me know.

Re: New defines

Posted by Tom Tromey <tr...@creche.cygnus.com>.
Jim> I seem to recall awhile ago someone suggesting not using such
Jim> #defines as HAVE_WHATEVER, in case we move to some sort of
Jim> autoconf process.

The actual intent was to use the same macros that would be used by
autoconf, to make using autoconf easier for those of us who need it.

Jim> If desired, I'll edit the code to sed all the HAVE_ to USE_ if
Jim> that's OK.

For functions, use HAVE_FUNCTION.  Function name is capitalized, eg
HAVE_FNMATCH.

For headers, use HAVE_HEADER_H; header name is capitalized and all "/"
turned to "_".  Eg HAVE_SYS_STAT_H.

For optional features, I recommend something that is guaranteed not to
clash, like USE_FEATURE.

This is actually the easiest part of moving to autoconf.  It was more
work to rewrite conf.h appropriately.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom

Re: New defines

Posted by ra...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca.
> I seem to recall awhile ago someone suggesting not using such #defines
> as HAVE_WHATEVER, in case we move to some sort of autoconf process.
>
> If desired, I'll edit the code to sed all the HAVE_ to USE_ if that's
> OK.
>
> Let me know.

That was me.

The reason being that if you create a module which uses autoconf then you
will get conflicts between the symbols.

-Rasmus