Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dinesh Khetarpal <dk...@karora.ca> on 2002/08/16 17:58:48 UTC

crimson or xmlParserAPIs and xercesImpl

In 3.3 tomcat I have crimson in my web-inf/lib and it is dynamically
loaded, in 4.x I have to remove crimson and put two(xmlPar.. and
xercesImpl). In 3.3 xmlPar and xercesI.. does not work. I am confused ..

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Dinesh,

Yep, starting with Tomcat-4.0.2, Tomcat has been enforcing the Sun
classloading spec which says that no DOM or XML libraries can be
loaded out of the child classloader, of which WEB-INF/lib is.  Tomcat-3.3.x and 4.0 and 4.0.1
did *not* enforce this.  However, it cause some various buggy behavior
that you may or may not have noticed.  Bottom line is that you now
much put your DOM/XML libraries out of a parent classloader... either in one of Tomcat's special
directories such as $TOMCAT_HOME/lib or $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib or you
can load them from the JDK if you are using j2sdk1.4.x or greater.
You can also override the DOM/XML libraries in jdk1.4.x by creating a
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed directory and then putting your preferred
DOM/XML libraries in there.  They will be loaded on the bootclasspath
with the rest of the standard Java libraries and override libraries
with the same package that might have come with the JDK.

later,

Jake

Friday, August 16, 2002, 10:58:48 AM, you wrote:

DK> In 3.3 tomcat I have crimson in my web-inf/lib and it is dynamically
DK> loaded, in 4.x I have to remove crimson and put two(xmlPar.. and
DK> xercesImpl). In 3.3 xmlPar and xercesI.. does not work. I am confused ..

Best regards,