Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/13 04:09:10 UTC

[classlib]volunteer to supply patches for old JIRAs

Hi all,
 I noticed there're many unresolved JIRAs posted so long time. I purpose to
dive into and find whether it is in my range and try to supply a patch if no
one objects :)
 Is there anyone alse has interest and would like to work with me?

--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib]volunteer to supply patches for old JIRAs

Posted by Robert Hu <ro...@gmail.com>.
Andrew Zhang 写道:
> On 9/13/06, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I noticed there're many unresolved JIRAs posted so long time. I
>> purpose to
>> dive into and find whether it is in my range and try to supply a
>> patch if
>> no
>> one objects :)
>

> Great!
>
> Is there anyone alse has interest and would like to work with me?
>

> Let me see whether I can contribute something. I'll take a look at those
> opened jiras which is related to nio/net/charset.
>
> --
>> Tony Wu
>> China Software Development Lab, IBM

Good! I want to contribute something too, and I think there are many
volunteers.

To avoid redundant work, I think one can simply add a comment to his/her
interested JIRA to indicate that he/she is working on it.
OK? :-)

--
Robert Hu

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/06, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I noticed there're many unresolved JIRAs posted so long time. I purpose to
> dive into and find whether it is in my range and try to supply a patch if
> no
> one objects :)

Great!

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

2006/9/13, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com>:
> My suggestion is to use the wiki page to augment rather than replace
> what the JIRA can do.
>
> For example, I'd suggest that people who are working on a given JIRA
> note that *in the JIRA*.
>
> geir
>

> Tony Wu wrote:
> > I have opened a new page at harmony wiki,
> > http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/OLDJIRAS
> > You can get the guideline, the process and a list of old jira issues there.
> > In the list there is a column called ASSIGNEE, you can sign your name there
> > if you are working on that issue. And you may check from this list to
> > ensure
> > there is no one also decide to working on the same issue before you start.
> >
> > If you notice there is something wrong or I missed, feel free to update
> > that
> > page, your effort will bring convenience to whole harmony community: )
> >

> > On 9/13/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You might also consider creating a page on the wiki where you outline
> >> this process, and record who is signing up for what...
> >>
> >> geir

> >> tests
> >> on
> >> test.
> >> look at
> >> add

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib]volunteer to supply patches for old JIRAs

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
oops!
may be just record *someone is in the JIRA* is more lightweight. I'll fix
it.
any suggest is welcome: )

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I'll write into guideline and comply with it.

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
btw - nice plan all!

Good to see this happen :)

geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Tony Wu wrote:
> so helpful suggestion, thank you Nathan.
> According to Nathan's suggestion, I suggest we go ahead as below,
> 1. verify all the issues without patch, supply a patch if possible.
> 2. for the issues already has a patch, verify the reason why it was
> ignored,
> and then
> a.write testcase if caused by lack of test.
> b.supply another patch if the patch is out of date.
> c.add comments to support it if the patch is ok.
IIRC, there is a discussion related to "patch available" status, if it
is opened, it would be easier to express "support":).

> On 9/13/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here are a few things that I think might help with getting through
>> some of
>> the older outstanding issues, as well as new ones.
>>
>> * If an issue is old (over a month???), then verify that it's still an
>> issue
>> with the latest code and note this with a JIRA comment.
>> * Obviously posting patches is great, but patches without tests are
>> almost
>> always ignored.
>> ** If you're posting an enhancement, post a patch that enhances the
>> tests
>> and make sure they pass on an RI. (I always make sure the test passes on
>> the
>> RI before considering the patch.)
>> ** If you're posting a fix, post a patch that includes a regression
>> test.
>> (I
>> always apply the test first, then run it to see it fail, then I look at
>> the
>> fix.)
>> * If there's a particular JIRA issue that you would like fixed and a
>> patch
>> already exists, try applying the patch yourself, verify it and then
>> add a
>> comment supporting the patch.
>>

>> -Nathan

Paulex Yang

Posted by Rui Hu <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com> wrote:

 Yes, the current "lang-management" module in classlib is almostly a stub.
And I also notice that there is a contribution of complete Java code of
"lang-management" module, in HARMONY-1407.
IMO, it's a good contribution and maybe this module will be complete soon.

> And please ignore HARMONY-1375, it is in discussion still.
> >
> > Waiting for your summary :)

Robert Hu

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

Posted by "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
Tony Wu wrote:
> so helpful suggestion, thank you Nathan.
> According to Nathan's suggestion, I suggest we go ahead as below,
> 1. verify all the issues without patch, supply a patch if possible.
> 2. for the issues already has a patch, verify the reason why it was
> ignored,
> and then
> a.write testcase if caused by lack of test.
> b.supply another patch if the patch is out of date.
> c.add comments to support it if the patch is ok.

Wonderful plan :)

IIRC, there's a open JIRA of management, it is because Harmony
java.lang.management does not exist yet, please ignore.
And please ignore HARMONY-1375, it is in discussion still.

Waiting for your summary :)

> On 9/13/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here are a few things that I think might help with getting through
>> some of
>> the older outstanding issues, as well as new ones.
>>
>> * If an issue is old (over a month???), then verify that it's still an
>> issue
>> with the latest code and note this with a JIRA comment.
>> * Obviously posting patches is great, but patches without tests are
>> almost
>> always ignored.
>> ** If you're posting an enhancement, post a patch that enhances the tests
>> and make sure they pass on an RI. (I always make sure the test passes on
>> the
>> RI before considering the patch.)
>> ** If you're posting a fix, post a patch that includes a regression test.
>> (I
>> always apply the test first, then run it to see it fail, then I look at
>> the
>> fix.)
>> * If there's a particular JIRA issue that you would like fixed and a
>> patch
>> already exists, try applying the patch yourself, verify it and then add a
>> comment supporting the patch.
>>

>> -Nathan

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I'll take part in this too. As far as I remember not all of my fixes
has patches for test... Seems it is a good time to fix this :)

SY, Alexey

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Right!

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Yes :)

A "guideline" :)

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Spark Shen wrote:
> Paulex Yang 写道:
>> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>
>>> Here are a few things that I think might help with getting through some of
>>> the older outstanding issues, as well as new ones.
>>>
>>> * If an issue is old (over a month???), then verify that it's still an issue
>>> with the latest code and note this with a JIRA comment.
>>> * Obviously posting patches is great, but patches without tests are almost
>>> always ignored.
>>> ** If you're posting an enhancement, post a patch that enhances the tests
>>> and make sure they pass on an RI. (I always make sure the test passes on the
>>> RI before considering the patch.)
>>> ** If you're posting a fix, post a patch that includes a regression test. (I
>>> always apply the test first, then run it to see it fail, then I look at the
>>> fix.)
>>> * If there's a particular JIRA issue that you would like fixed and a patch
>>> already exists, try applying the patch yourself, verify it and then add a
>>> comment supporting the patch.
>>>

>>> -Nathan
>>>
>> +1 from me, this is an excellent guide. Only one more thing:
>>
>> * If the JIRA/patch is debatable for any reasons (non-bug difference,
>> break others, any other concerns...), don't hesitate to forward it to
>> dev-list for discussion.
>>
> There are already JIRA categorized as Non-bug differences from RI(JIRA
> 858), shall we just close it or leave it as-is.

Those should be a log, rather than bugs to work on...

geir

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I think that we should close non-bug defferencies as "wont fix" or
something like that.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. 写道:
> Spark Shen wrote:
>
>> Paulex Yang 写道:

>>> +1 from me, this is an excellent guide. Only one more thing:
>>>
>>> * If the JIRA/patch is debatable for any reasons (non-bug difference,
>>> break others, any other concerns...), don't hesitate to forward it to
>>> dev-list for discussion.
>>>

>> There are already JIRA categorized as Non-bug differences from RI(JIRA
>> 858), shall we just close it or leave it as-is.
>>

> Those should be a log, rather than bugs to work on...

So, we will leave it as-is.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Paulex Yang 写道:

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Paulex Yang 写道:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>
>> Here are a few things that I think might help with getting through some of
>> the older outstanding issues, as well as new ones.
>>
>> * If an issue is old (over a month???), then verify that it's still an issue
>> with the latest code and note this with a JIRA comment.
>> * Obviously posting patches is great, but patches without tests are almost
>> always ignored.
>> ** If you're posting an enhancement, post a patch that enhances the tests
>> and make sure they pass on an RI. (I always make sure the test passes on the
>> RI before considering the patch.)
>> ** If you're posting a fix, post a patch that includes a regression test. (I
>> always apply the test first, then run it to see it fail, then I look at the
>> fix.)
>> * If there's a particular JIRA issue that you would like fixed and a patch
>> already exists, try applying the patch yourself, verify it and then add a
>> comment supporting the patch.
>>

>> -Nathan
>>
> +1 from me, this is an excellent guide. Only one more thing:
>
> * If the JIRA/patch is debatable for any reasons (non-bug difference,
> break others, any other concerns...), don't hesitate to forward it to
> dev-list for discussion.
>
> And further, if possible, I suggest to look at related JIRAs in one run,
> for example, there may be several issues/patches related to
> ObjectOutputStream, if you fixed/updated one, another patch may be
> outdated, a better way is to link them and consider them together.

It's a good idea. I have already see many JIRAs linked

--
Spark Shen

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Spark Shen wrote:
> Alexey Varlamov 写道:
>
>> 2006/9/13, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Nathan Beyer 写道:

>>> some of

>>> an issue

>>> almost

>>> tests

>>> passes on the

>>> test. (I

>>> look at the

>>> a patch

>>> add a

>>> There are also very specific cases. Some JIRAs are about kernal classes(
>>> e.p. JIRA 921). When IBM vm is concerned,
>>> they are not in the scope of Harmony project. It is better be feeded
>>> back to IBM.
>>> When DRLVM is concerned, we may solve it in the scope of Harmony
>>> project.
>>>
>>> So I suggest to split JIRA 921 into two JIRAs. One for DRLVM, one for
>>> IBM vm.
>>>
>> Did you check this is applicable to both VMs? If it is for DRLVM only,
>> then better just change component (and summary prefix ;)).
>>
> Sorry, what do you mean by applicable?
> Do you mean will this bug reoccur on both VMs, 1
> Or do you worry about whether this bug can be reported to both VMs? 2
>
> If you worry 1, I tested it with IBM VME v4 and latest snapshot.
> java -cp . test
> res = null
> res = null
>
> And did not test it with DRLVM, and guess the bug still exists on DRLVM :-)
>
> If you worry 2, I think Oliver will respond to problems with IBM VME.
> May be we could involve him in this discussion.

Yes, if you find bugs with the IBM VME, then please
make them known to the list (as I think people have done
successfully up to now) and I will try to get them
fixed in the next VME version.

Regards,
Oliver

> Best regards
>
>>> Any suggestions?

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib]volunteer to supply patches for old JIRAs

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
> >> So I suggest to split JIRA 921 into two JIRAs. One for DRLVM, one for
> >> IBM vm.
> >
> > Did you check this is applicable to both VMs? If it is for DRLVM only,
> > then better just change component (and summary prefix ;)).
> Sorry, what do you mean by applicable?
> Do you mean will this bug reoccur on both VMs, 1
> Or do you worry about whether this bug can be reported to both VMs? 2
>
> If you worry 1, I tested it with IBM VME v4 and latest snapshot.
> java -cp . test
> res = null
> res = null

Yep, this is what I meant. Still, as we do not track IBM VME bugs in
JIRA, I see no point to create new JIRAs - enough to change the
component.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Alexey Varlamov 写道:

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Nathan Beyer 写道:

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

Posted by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Leo Li 写道:
> Hi, all:
> I am also ready to fix unresolved JIRAs.
> Currently, my work focuses on java.lang module.
Hi Leo,
I also work on java.lang module. May be you could list which JIRAs you
are interested in, then we will not
deal with the same JIRA at the same time.

Best regards

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all:
     I am also ready to fix unresolved JIRAs.
     Currently, my work focuses on java.lang module.

On 9/13/06, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew Zhang 写道:
> > On 9/13/06, Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Tony Wu 写道:
> patch
> >> >
> >> Hi,
> >> It is interesting of your proposal. May I join in?
> >> I noticed that there are many categories of components. I suggest we
> >> only deal with those components we are familier with.
> >> Since there are so many unresolved JIRAs, will you start from the
> >> beginning and I will start from the end. If someone else is interested,
> >> he/she may start from the middle. :-)
> >

> > I think we'd better choose JIRAs according to the modules, as you
> > mentioned,
> > which we're familiar with.
> OK, since so many people are interested in this proposal, the plan one
> start from the beginning and the other from the end
> may not be appropriate.
> Recently I am working on java.lang.Math and java.lang.StrictMath, I will
> deal with java.lang module.
> >
> > Best regards
> >>
> >> --
> >> Spark Shen