Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/14 12:22:55 UTC

Re: improving the scalability in searching

Hi,

On 8/14/07, Ard Schrijvers <a....@hippo.nl> wrote:
> Apart from a possible solution, the policy is that moving some tag to the
> latest jackrabbit version should always be possible without having to re-index?
> Is it not an option to have some kind of warning that re-indexing is needed
> when mocing to version x ?

We can certainly require reindexing as a part of the upgrade process
between major or minor (but not patch) releases. I would however
prefer to keep such extra manual steps to a minimum to keep things
smooth.

There may well be a set of backwards incompatible changes in the 1.4
release, and Jackrabbit 2.0 will most likely require a more complex
upgrade process, so we do have a few good windows of opportunity
coming up for reindexing or other such changes.

BR,

Jukka Zitting