Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew R Feller <af...@lsu.edu> on 2007/08/08 22:17:20 UTC

RHEL and Tomcat startup/shutdown scripts

Hello everyone,

Over the past couple of months, I have been working with some Tomcat
instances on RHEL 5 and wondered: what is the recommended method to
startup/shutdown Tomcat?  After reading the Tomcat documentation, they
talk about compiling the jsvc source under the bin directory and using
that.

Thanks,

Andrew R Feller, Analyst

Subversion Administrator

University Information Systems

Louisiana State University

afelle1@lsu.edu

(office) 225.578.3737

RE: RHEL and Tomcat startup/shutdown scripts

Posted by Andrew R Feller <af...@lsu.edu>.
Thanks for the reply Ben!

Unfortunately due to needing Java 1.5+ (current distro gcj is Java 1.4.2
equivalent) for CAS (http://www.ja-sig.org/products/cas/) and Tomcat 6
(unicast member discovery via static members), I am unable to reply upon
Redhat's Tomcat 5.5 package.  As such, I have to use the precompiled
binaries of Sun's Java 1.6 and Apache's Tomcat 6.0.

I have no problems compiling and using the jsvc daemon for Tomcat.  I'm
just at a loss about whether that is the right route or not.

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 15:17 -0500, Andrew R Feller wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> Over the past couple of months, I have been working with some Tomcat
> instances on RHEL 5 and wondered: what is the recommended method to
> startup/shutdown Tomcat?  After reading the Tomcat documentation, they
> talk about compiling the jsvc source under the bin directory and using
> that.

Hi Andrew,

Redhat package tomcat 5.5 as an RPM (or JPackage package it and Redhat
distribute it).

This RPM comes with well written init scripts, creates a tomcat user
etc. I would recommend you use this.

# yum install tomcat5

Cheers, Ben

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.