Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/07/25 10:06:46 UTC

Build issues

Hi there...sorry for the delay in activity, I was out of town for a week or
so and I am still catching up on email and trying to upgrade from Eclipse
3.1 to Eclipse 3.1 (w/WTP 0.7RC2) and in doing so I decided to dump my
current .classpath and .project info from my prior version and try to pick
up a new config via 'Create Project'.

I am noticing some strange things...

Build
-----
o In build/build.xml, the default target is 'dist-all' - was that
intentional?
o Should the clean or clean-all target remove the items retrieved via
download-dependencies?  Or is there a different one for that? (like
'clean-lib' or 'clean-all-lib')

ASL 2.0
-------
o I noticed that not every .java file has the standard (and required)
license.  Perhaps we should do an audit of the code to ensure that we are in
compliance.

Duplicate class
---------------
o We define o.a.m.e.s.SourceCodeServlet.java twice.  Once in
examples/sandbox, and once in examples/simple.

Given the fact that this is a simple utility class and these are both exact
duplicates (line for line - including missing ASL 2.0) makes me inclined to
think that this class should probably be moved to a single location and
referenced from there.  My thoughts are to make a "shared.jar" or
"examples-shared.jar" that is itself a subproject under examples (part of
the examples subproject), but used in both examples/sandbox and
examples/simple.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure why it is not needed in
tiles and wml.

Your thoughts?

tomahawk/src/wml
----------------
o Eclipse always complains about missing wml sources which get generated via
xdoclet during the ant build, or so they used to....perhaps I'm missing
something, but did this commit remove the xdoclet wml source generation?
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-commits/200506.mbox/%3C20050622231230.56358.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

...thanks for your help.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Re: Build issues

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline...

2005/7/25, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>:
> Hi there...sorry for the delay in activity, I was out of town for a week or
> so and I am still catching up on email and trying to upgrade from Eclipse
> 3.1 to Eclipse 3.1 (w/WTP 0.7RC2) and in doing so I decided to dump my
> current .classpath and .project info from my prior version and try to pick
> up a new config via 'Create Project'.
>
> I am noticing some strange things...
>
> Build
> -----
> o In build/build.xml, the default target is 'dist-all' - was that
> intentional?

I guess it is intentional as it may be the most used target. Normally,
the build.xml from the current folder is the one which is executed
(building all myfaces then...)

> o Should the clean or clean-all target remove the items retrieved via
> download-dependencies?  Or is there a different one for that? (like
> 'clean-lib' or 'clean-all-lib')

+1 for having separated targets to clean the downloaded dependencies.
I would use a more specific name like
'clean-downloaded-dependencies'...

> ASL 2.0
> -------
> o I noticed that not every .java file has the standard (and required)
> license.  Perhaps we should do an audit of the code to ensure that we are in
> compliance.

Yes, every file should have the ASF 2.0 license at the top...

> Duplicate class
> ---------------
> o We define o.a.m.e.s.SourceCodeServlet.java twice.  Once in
> examples/sandbox, and once in examples/simple.
>
> Given the fact that this is a simple utility class and these are both exact
> duplicates (line for line - including missing ASL 2.0) makes me inclined to
> think that this class should probably be moved to a single location and
> referenced from there.  My thoughts are to make a "shared.jar" or
> "examples-shared.jar" that is itself a subproject under examples (part of
> the examples subproject), but used in both examples/sandbox and
> examples/simple.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure why it is not needed in
> tiles and wml.

I think that if we put the common classes in a separate src folder in
the examples we could include the classes of that folder in those wars
that use them. I don't see the necessity to create another jar, thus
adding more complexity....

> Your thoughts?
>

> tomahawk/src/wml
> ----------------
> o Eclipse always complains about missing wml sources which get generated via
> xdoclet during the ant build, or so they used to....perhaps I'm missing
> something, but did this commit remove the xdoclet wml source generation?
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-commits/200506.mbox/%3C20050622231230.56358.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

I always build from the command line withoud problems... I haven't
tested with eclipse...

> ...thanks for your help.

You're welcome ;-)

Regards,

Bruno

Re: Build issues

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7/25/05, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi there...sorry for the delay in activity, I was out of town for a week or
> so and I am still catching up on email and trying to upgrade from Eclipse
> 3.1 to Eclipse 3.1 (w/WTP 0.7RC2) and in doing so I decided to dump my
> current .classpath and .project info from my prior version and try to pick
> up a new config via 'Create Project'.
>
> I am noticing some strange things...
>
> Build
> -----
> o In build/build.xml, the default target is 'dist-all' - was that
> intentional?

Yes.  That's what most of the developers seem to want.  Personally I
never rely on the default target anyways.

> o Should the clean or clean-all target remove the items retrieved via
> download-dependencies?  Or is there a different one for that? (like
> 'clean-lib' or 'clean-all-lib')

That's probably a good idea (to have a separate one.)  What about
clean-dependencies?  I don't think the dependencies should be part of
clean-all.  That's not what the average user would suspect (or want.)

> ASL 2.0
> -------
> o I noticed that not every .java file has the standard (and required)
> license.  Perhaps we should do an audit of the code to ensure that we are in
> compliance.

Yes this was an oversight (sounds like on my part if we are talking
about SourceCodeServlet.)

> Duplicate class
> ---------------
> o We define o.a.m.e.s.SourceCodeServlet.java twice.  Once in
> examples/sandbox, and once in examples/simple.
>
> Given the fact that this is a simple utility class and these are both exact
> duplicates (line for line - including missing ASL 2.0) makes me inclined to
> think that this class should probably be moved to a single location and
> referenced from there.  My thoughts are to make a "shared.jar" or
> "examples-shared.jar" that is itself a subproject under examples (part of
> the examples subproject), but used in both examples/sandbox and
> examples/simple.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure why it is not needed in
> tiles and wml.
>

> Your thoughts?

It used to be in the standard webapp back when we had standard and
simple webapps.  At that time, the src for standard was shared (via
external) with simple.  Then we removed the tandard webapp.  Around
the same time, we added the sandbox webapp.  Since those examples also
have interesting JSP, I added it there as well.

Not sure if it makes sense for Tiles and WML webapps but I suppose the
case could be made.  I agree with Bruno about not having a separate
jar file.  I can see your point about maintaining the same file in
more than one location as well.  What about a new directory under
source in the simple app called 'utility'  (so src/java and
src/utility)  The utility dir can be an svn:external in the other
webapps and link to this dir?

> tomahawk/src/wml
> o Eclipse always complains about missing wml sources which get generated via
> xdoclet during the ant build, or so they used to....perhaps I'm missing
> something, but did this commit remove the xdoclet wml source generation?
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-commits/200506.mbox/%3C20050622231230.56358.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

Not sure what this is about although I am not really familiar with
WML.  AFAIK the WML stuff is related to WAP and is not actually being
generated in the build at the moment.  I'm hoping someone more
knowledgeable about such matters will jump in with this.

sean