Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Daniel Rabe <dr...@opentext.com> on 2004/01/07 23:16:45 UTC

Getting started building struts from source - need a little help

I'm trying to build struts from current CVS source. I've run into a couple
of issues and thought I'd mention them here (because I don't know what else
to do with them):

- If I want to run test.junit, it looks like I still have to set up the
cactus properties, because the init target in build-tests.xml does the
taskdef for runservertests. If I don't have the properties defined
correctly, the init fails.

- In order to get the taskdef for RunServerTestsTask to work, I had to add
commons-logging.jar to the taskdef classpath. I'm using Cactus 1.5-rc1;
should I be using a different version?

- I also tried building from maven (thought it would save me the hassle of
finding all the jars and editing build.properties). It fails, unable to find
commons-validator-1.1.1.

- I wanted to write some junit tests for upload (in reference to Bugzilla
Bug 23255, FormFile.getFileName() problem in multibyte character file name).
It looks like there are some unit tests there, but by default they are not
executed. When I do execute them (by adding another batchtest in the
test.junit target), they fail. Is this expected?

Thanks,
Daniel Rabe

Re: Getting started building struts from source - need a little help

Posted by Paul Sundling <to...@tkz.net>.
If you look at some of my earlier messages you'll see I encountered the
problem as well.  You notice that Joe Germuska was even kind enough to
add a comment to the project.xml as I suggested.  So you can go and get
the jar for the new validator from the URL in the comment below and then
put it in your maven repository.  For further information, here's the
comment from the project.xml:

     <!--
        Note that this version of commons-validator is not yet
        served from the iBiblio repository.  You can download
        a distribution from
http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ValidatorAlpha/1.1.1/        or build it
from the CVS repository.  (With Maven, you can use
        the goal jar:install to build a jar and put it in your Maven
repository.)

        If you download the binary, don't forget to rename to include
the version number
        (from "commons-validator.jar" to "commons-validator-1.1.1.jar"

        If you build it from the CVS repository, you will probably end
up with
        version 1.1.2-dev.  You can tell Maven to use that version with
Struts
        by editing your "build.properties" file in the root of your local
        copy of the Struts CVS distribution.  Include these two lines:
        maven.jar.override=on
        maven.jar.commons-validator=1.1.2-dev

Paul Sundling