Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/04 17:09:25 UTC

Jira or Bugzilla?

Hi at all

I'm a bit confused. Bertrand requested a JIRA space for NetBeans.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12704 .

I'm a bit surprised. I believed that NetBeans will get there own
Bugzilla instance like Apache OpenOffice. The Proposal say nothing
about the Issue Tracking Software. So what do you think.

Regards Raphael

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do I need a separate account for the Apache Jira?...

Yes, unfortunately.

-Bertrand

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Do I need a separate account for the Apache Jira?

Sven

--
Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Bruno Flávio <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

I personally don't find Bugzilla very user-friendly. Fortunately we also
have the NetBeans Dashboard [1], which is in fact the main tool I use to
filter and display issue lists.

Perhaps most of it's functionality (Bugzilla + dashboard) is already
present in JIRA? Anyway, if we continue using BZ I really think we
should find a way to keep the Dashboard available.

1. http://services.netbeans.org/dashboard/web/

-Bruno

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.
I forgot ... I was referring to the following link when asking if something
was applicable
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-bugzilla-802592828.html

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Wade Chandler <co...@wadechandler.com>.

On 2016-10-05 03:56 (-0400), Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> > ...The incubation proposal only mentions "Issue Tracking" as required resource,
> > and typically new podlings choose Jira over Bugzilla...
>
> Yes - I requested https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS as I
> suppose we'll need to coordinate things soon, but that doesn't mean
> we'll use it for the existing NetBeans bugzilla tickets.
>
> My preference would be to move to jira as that's mainstream at the
> ASF, but that's a decisions to be made by this project's community.
>
> I did some bugzilla -> jira migration some time ago, which worked
> well, might have the code somewhere if there's interest.
>
> Note that we have Daniel Gruno from infra as a mentor so we'll be able
> to get good advice on that side.

Something that does seem odd to me about using Jira at ASF, or any open source, is are we then not locked into whatever happens with the commercial product? With BZ do we own the code and data? That seems more open. I agree Jiras interface is better, but BZ isn't bad. I am torn on this topic from the open standpoint. Same it seems as infra talks about how a project carries on if an agreement ends, does this issue not exist with Jira?

Thanks

Wade.

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
The incubation proposal only mentions "Issue Tracking" as required resource,
and typically new podlings choose Jira over Bugzilla.
I'm not at infra and I don't know which one is preferred from ASF/infra POV, but
I think only a handful of ASF projects nowadays still use Bugzilla.

However the need to migrate or preserve existing issues is evident, and
for that using Bugzilla @ASF might be more practical.

Or maybe migrate and 'archive' the exiting issues to a frozen Bugzilla
instance while starting 'fresh' at the ASF using Jira is an option?

Personally I never enjoyed working with Bugzilla and from a usability POV
I'd choose Jira any time, but this is clearly something for the project
to further discuss and decide about.

I see 3 options:
a) only use Bugzilla, drop the new Jira NETBEANS project
b) only use JIRA, try to migrate/preserve existing Bugzilla issues to Jira
    (if feasible, need help/confirmation from infra)
c) preserve and archive existing Bugzilla issues at ASF, use Jira from now on
    (possibly with the wish to still refer/link to archived Bugzilla issues)

Ate

Re: Jira or Bugzilla?

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emilian