Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by dr...@teamraf.com on 2005/01/10 18:38:50 UTC

[users@httpd] .US extension giving me problems

Hello,

 I've got a .US extension I'm trying to get up on my 1.3 server.  When I
call up the www.domain.us directory I get the index (if I turn on the
indexes) but not the web page.  If I modify the ServerName directive in
the virtual host to a .com address from another domain I have it works
just fine.  Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?  I'm thinking
at this point it may be a bug in Apache?

 Thanks much.

Re: [users@httpd] .US extension giving me problems

Posted by Glenn Sieb <ra...@wingfoot.org>.
Leif W said the following on 1/10/2005 10:20 PM:

>> dropbox@teamraf.com; 2005 January 10 Monday 15:02

>>> It is highly unlikely that this has anything to do with the particular
>>> "us" domain.  More likely you have some other error in your vhost
>>> configuration that is causing that domain to be mapped to the wrong
>>> vhost or something similar.
>>>
>>> Joshua.
>>

>> That's what I thought as well, but when I changed the ServerName to the
>> .com address it worked perfectly.  Here's a copy of the virtual host
>> entry.  Keep in mind I've got about 14 virtual hosts running on this
>> server with the exact same entry with different ServerNames and Document
>> roots.  Again, if I change the ServerName to a .com address, the page is
>> served successfully.
>>
>> <VirtualHost 206.101.16.121>
>>        DocumentRoot /www/proof.us
>>        ServerName www.proof.us
>>        DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
>>        Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
>>        ServerAdmin dma2001@hotmail.com
>>        ServerSignature email
>>        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/proof_error_log
>> </VirtualHost>
>

> What, if anything, is reported in the access and error logs, with the
> .us ServerName and with a .com ServerName?  Where is the access log
> for this vhost?  Does it work if you change the DocumentRoot to a .com
> and keep ServerName to .us?  Did you try to change Options to
> FollowSymLinks and Includes, and remove the -Indexes?  Options lines
> with no + or - will clobber if not prefixed with anything.  It might
> help to rule out any Options merging or inheriting issues.

A stupid point.. but are the files readable by the www server? Just
curious..

Best,
--G.

Re: [users@httpd] .US extension giving me problems

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
> dropbox@teamraf.com; 2005 January 12 Wednesday 12:40
>
> That worked, although I'm not sure why?
>
> I don't have directories set up on any other of my hosts.  I have the
> directory, options, and security on each of the virtual host
> directives.
> The only thing I don't have in the virtual host are the lines:
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
>
> Any ideas on why this worked?

Well, take a look at the manual for the usage of each directive.  The
Options context is stated to be valid in VirtualHost context, but that
is a bit weird if it's within a VirtualHost but outside of a Directory
(or Location or something).  The very first line for Options docs in
Apache 2.0 says the following.

The Options directive controls which server features are available in a
particular directory.

So, to me, it means put that directive into a <Directory> container so
it applies to something.  In a VirtualHost context, outside of a
Directory, I do not know if a DocumentRoot is implied, or it is implied
to apply to all <Directory> sections.  I am not sure why it says it's OK
in a VirtualHost context but no mention wether it must still be inside
the Directory or Location.  I have never personally used Options outside
of any Directory or Location.

On the other hand, I have used DirectoryIndex inside a VirtualHost and
outside of Directory, and it applied to all Directory sections within
that VirtualHost.  But I have never omitted all Directory blocks.  I
have always used at least one, to define permissions for the directory
specified by DocumentRoot.

Order is valid only in Directory and .htaccess.  It is used to
explicitly declare who you allow or deny access, and in what order.

Allow one address:

Order allow,deny
Allow from 127.0.0.1
Deny from all

Deny one address:

Order deny,allow
Deny from 1.2.3.4
Allow from all

I think the order is interchangable, but I have not experimented much
with this beyond the examples above.

AllowOverride applies only to a Directory block, and controls what is
allowed in an .htaccess file.

Leif

Posted by dr...@teamraf.com.

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.