Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com> on 2002/11/01 00:33:08 UTC

Re: [lang] MethodUtils [WAS Re: [beanutils][lang][PROPOSAL] deprecated beanutils version of MethodUtils]

On Thursday 31 October 2002 05:29 pm, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 09:42 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Robert, as you have probably spotted, I have created a number of new
> > classes
> > and a new API for the reflect subpackage in [lang]. FieldUtils is about
> > finished, but MethodUtils is modtly commented out.
> >
> > So, there is still much work todo before beanutils can actually depend on
> > lang. But if you can help thats great.
>
> hi Stephen
>
> i haven't read anything bad about my proposal so i plan to start work on
> this stuff soon.
>
> i've taken a quick look and you've made quite a few changes. any pointers
> you'd like to give me about these changes?
>
> i've noticed that you've commented out the invokeMethod implementation. my
> first job will be to get that working about. are there any modifications
> that you need me to make to the commented out code (or is it just a case
> of get it working again)?
>
> one of the consequences of MethodUtils being in lang is that lang can't
> depend on commons-logging. i found that without logging, it's nearly
> impossible to debug some things.
>
> what i'd like to do is add a debug boolean and a log method (probably both
> private) that logs messages to System.out. this would allow debugging
> calls to remain in place *but* we'd have to remember to switch the flag
> back off before committing. is that ok with you?

System.err, instead of System.out? And how about something like

static {
if (System.getProperty("org.apache.commons.lang.Debug") != null) {
  debugLogging = true;
}
}

If it's useful for us, it might be useful for other developers.