Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com> on 2013/01/31 21:14:26 UTC

graduation charter details

Hey all,

I was planning on using the graduation charter for Apache Flex as a
baseline for our own vote:

http://markmail.org/message/ps3rjgv76vlw4sh5

My thought was to include all current committers as the initial members.

For the VP/PMC chair role, I was going to nominate Matthias. I am firmly of
the opinion that he did more of the important-but-not-fun work that was
required to turn Crunch into a real Apache project, and I felt like the
honor of the first VP of Crunch as a TLP should go to him.

With that said, Matthias, I don't want to impose any additional work on you
that you wouldn't be up for, so if you would like to decline, I would
certainly understand.

Josh

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>

Re: graduation charter details

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Thank you, you almost convinced me - but I still decline :)

You're perfect for the job, just take it and let's get this project
graduated ;-)

Regards,
  Matthias

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
here's more on what the Chair duties/responsibilities are:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

Basically it boils down to:
"The chair of the PMC is appointed by the Board and is an officer of
the ASF (Vice President). The chair has primary responsibility to the
Board, and has the power to establish rules and procedures for the day
to day management of the communities for which the PMC is responsible,
including the composition of the PMC itself. "

Concretely? it primarily means you report to the board and in that
capacity are responsible for getting a quarterly report to the them
outlining the status of the project.

Patrick

Posted by Josh Wills <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Wills <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,

On Thursday, 2013-01-31, Josh Wills wrote:
> I was planning on using the graduation charter for Apache Flex as a
> baseline for our own vote:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/ps3rjgv76vlw4sh5
>
> My thought was to include all current committers as the initial members.

Sounds good to me.

> For the VP/PMC chair role, I was going to nominate Matthias. I am firmly of
> the opinion that he did more of the important-but-not-fun work that was
> required to turn Crunch into a real Apache project, and I felt like the
> honor of the first VP of Crunch as a TLP should go to him.
>
> With that said, Matthias, I don't want to impose any additional work on you
> that you wouldn't be up for, so if you would like to decline, I would
> certainly understand.

I'm flattered, thank you, but I have to decline. It's not about the time
or additional work - I'm definitely willing to help out in organizational
things like graduation or reporting duties, no matter who becomes PMC
chair. However, I think there's a candidate who's much better suited.

I'm not sure how the nomination/election process works here, or if there
is one, but I'd like to nominate you, Josh. Crunch is your baby, you have
spent more time on it than anybody else - not just coding, but even more
imporantly in building a community. You are always willing to discuss
things, you stay polite even when you disagree and you make compromises
when the majority of the team wants to take a different road. That's
worth a lot, so I think you would be the perfect candidate.

What do you think guys?

Regards,
  Matthias