Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de> on 1997/12/01 16:14:42 UTC

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

On Sun, Nov 30, 1997 at 09:08:00AM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>     Done.  '_ex" changed to '_ext' for 'extras.'  Have you actually
>     tried installing it, or were these just theoretical remarks?
The latter when I wrote it. I installed it afterwards (and was astonished
to see a GRAPHICAL self extracting archive, good! This means you don't
have to tell your customers to ...cd to your apache directory, then
start "apache_ext.exe -d", and don't forget the -d or it'll write all
your files to the current dir...

BTW: What I DID notice on this occation is that the f@#$%^g DOS shell
REQUIRES you to enter "apache_1.3b3_ext.exe"; i.e., you CANNOT omit the
trailing .exe because the shell assumes that if you have any dot somewhere
in the filename, then it doesn't need to do the "try .BAT then try .COM
then try .EXE" game.

So, you better start off this SFX from the explorer..

>     Has anyone tried this?  Is it ready for me to move over to
>     /apache/dist/?
+1 from me. Could it find out the apache install directory automatically
(from the registry)? Or doesn't SFX offer an interface for things like
that?

    Martin

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Nominations for alternatives?
>
> Perhaps we could even debate the merit of having an installer?  It seems to
> be holding up other useful release engineering tasks for NT...

I wasted an entire day fighting with InstallShield trying to build a PHP
win32 install a while ago.  I found it incredibly poor as well.

-Rasmus

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 05:04 PM 12/7/97 +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
>Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Got it, and .... ugh, IS5 has to be one of the worst programs I've ever
>> used.
>
>I'm not going to argue with that! Perhaps we should see if InstallShield
>will improve it for us...

Nominations for alternatives?

Perhaps we could even debate the merit of having an installer?  It seems to
be holding up other useful release engineering tasks for NT...

	Brian

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play." - sig   brian@organic.com

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > OK, I've zipped it (and probably a pile of tosh it didn't need) and it
> > is available at httpd/dist/ApacheIS.zip. The path it lives in on my
> > machine (which may have to be identical) is:
> > c:/work/apachen/InstallShield
> > the apache tree will definitely need to be rooted at c:/work/apachen.
>
> Got it, and .... ugh, IS5 has to be one of the worst programs I've ever
> used.

I'm not going to argue with that! Perhaps we should see if InstallShield
will improve it for us...

> You simply cannot seem to use the installation configuration files
> in a different directory from the one where it was original made. Not only
> that, you can't even easily change the location of the files it is
> distributing. Actually you can, because all the config files are plain
> text, except that it splits them across *dozens* of separate configuration
> files (one per "file group"). It would be a nightmare to maintain this in
> CVS such that multiple developers could access it from their own machines.
> Yuk yuk yuk.

Yep.

> Plus I cannot figure out how to do a single-exe build (Ben: I guess you
> did this using PackageForTheWeb -- is that a separate program, or a freely
> available extension?).

I did do it with PackageForTheWeb. It is a separate program. AFAIK,
there's no reason you shouldn't also have a copy of the "official"
Apache Group versions...

> Or how to do a build from the command line. And no
> upgrade path from IS2 configurations.

Disgusting, isn't it?

> I thought that IS2 was bad, but at least you can do easy single .exe
> install programs, and its configuration is stored in a single file so you
> can search-and-replace path names when you import/export it from CVS.

No comment.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@awe.com>.
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> OK, I've zipped it (and probably a pile of tosh it didn't need) and it
> is available at httpd/dist/ApacheIS.zip. The path it lives in on my
> machine (which may have to be identical) is:
> c:/work/apachen/InstallShield
> the apache tree will definitely need to be rooted at c:/work/apachen.

Got it, and .... ugh, IS5 has to be one of the worst programs I've ever
used. You simply cannot seem to use the installation configuration files
in a different directory from the one where it was original made. Not only
that, you can't even easily change the location of the files it is
distributing. Actually you can, because all the config files are plain
text, except that it splits them across *dozens* of separate configuration
files (one per "file group"). It would be a nightmare to maintain this in
CVS such that multiple developers could access it from their own machines.
Yuk yuk yuk.

Plus I cannot figure out how to do a single-exe build (Ben: I guess you
did this using PackageForTheWeb -- is that a separate program, or a freely
available extension?). Or how to do a build from the command line. And no
upgrade path from IS2 configurations.

I thought that IS2 was bad, but at least you can do easy single .exe
install programs, and its configuration is stored in a single file so you
can search-and-replace path names when you import/export it from CVS.

//pcs

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Shane Caraveo <sh...@caraveo.com>.
> BTW, does anyone know if anyone is working on a Perl Active Scripting
> Engine? That would be a cool start in the direction of Unix-based ASP,
> it seems to me...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.

www.activeware.com has a win32 perlscript for asp.  I played with it
a little, its nice.

Shane

Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > I'm happy to zip up the current IS setup for anyone who wants to do this
> > stuff. It ought to go into CVS, of course, but I'm having far too much
> > fun with ASP to dick with IS.
>
> Yeah, can you do this? While I'd love to see an asp module, at the moment
> I think that the installer is way more urgent.

You are probably right, but I was struck with inspiration, so I thought
I'd better do it before the impetus passed. It really is a nightmare,
coz the documentation of ActiveX/OLE is so difficult to track down, and
coz it seems there are several different ways to implement the same
thing that look totally different in C++ but identical at the OLE level
(or something - I dunno, I'm confused).

I am gradually making progress, though (am on the last leg of
implementing the Request.QueryString property, which gives enough to
make ASP slightly useful).

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@awe.com>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@eu.c2.net>.