Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/12/21 15:59:31 UTC

propget bug?

$ svn propget svn:wc:ra_dav:version-url README
/repos/svn/!svn/ver/12286/trunk/README

...uhhh, I thought 'wcprops' (just like 'entryprops') were things only
understood internally by libsvn_wc.

My understanding is that our UI for manipulating properties are only
for 'normal', user-controlled versioned props.  I think this is a bug,
and should be filed, yeah?

Re: propget bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 22, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 9:59 AM -0600 Ben Collins-Sussman
> <su...@collab.net> wrote:
>
>> $ svn propget svn:wc:ra_dav:version-url README
>> /repos/svn/!svn/ver/12286/trunk/README
>>
>> ...uhhh, I thought 'wcprops' (just like 'entryprops') were things only
>> understood internally by libsvn_wc.
>>
>> My understanding is that our UI for manipulating properties are only
>> for
>> 'normal', user-controlled versioned props.  I think this is a bug, and
>> should be filed, yeah?
>
> No, why would you think they are special?  Any WebDAV client would see
> them as well.

Generic WebDAV clients are irrelevant.  Sure, when they do a PROPFIND,
they'll see all sorts of properties:  both dead and live ones, and a
bunch of svn-specific ones.  It's no surprised for a particular DAV
server to have its own custom props.

But my point is that the svn commandline is *not* a generic webdav
client.  It shouldn't be exposing webdav-specific concepts (or
properties) to users.   The 'svn propFOO' set of subcommands only deal
with dead props, and nothing else.  Users should never witness the
existence of ra_dav's private caching mechanism (wcprops), nor should
it be able to view webdav 'live' props.  (Those are automatically
converted into 'entryprops' that live in .svn/entries, visible via 'svn
info'.)

svn concepts come first.  WebDAV concepts should remain hidden and be
mapped to "under the hood", not publically.

Re: propget bug?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
<su...@collab.net> wrote:

> $ svn propget svn:wc:ra_dav:version-url README
> /repos/svn/!svn/ver/12286/trunk/README
>
> ...uhhh, I thought 'wcprops' (just like 'entryprops') were things only
> understood internally by libsvn_wc.
>
> My understanding is that our UI for manipulating properties are only for
> 'normal', user-controlled versioned props.  I think this is a bug, and
> should be filed, yeah?

No, why would you think they are special?  Any WebDAV client would see them as
well.

In the context of mod_dav_svn, I believe (but not 100% sure) that these are
'liveprops' which means that they can't be modified.  (It'd be trivial to make
them liveprops if they are deadprops.)  -- justin

Re: propget bug?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> > Oh what the heck, fixed in r12523 :-)
>
> Sweet!  Thanks!
>
> Can we prevent svn:wc:entry properties from being accessed as well?

Well, those are already protected by checks in libsvn_wc (try it).

This is a somewhat inconsistent with r12523's way of protecting
wcprops, but I think that might make sense: the two kinds of
properties are being protected for different reasons.

It's "svn:entry", btw, not "svn:wc:entry".

Re: propget bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 29, 2004, at 12:25 AM, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Oh what the heck, fixed in r12523 :-)

Sweet!  Thanks!

Can we prevent svn:wc:entry properties from being accessed as well?

Re: propget bug?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> Because to subversion, a "property" is strictly defined as only those
> chunks of metadata explictly created (or at least manipulatable) via
> 'svn propset'.
>
> Under the hood, we just happened to overload the editor's property
> mechanisms to receive and store other forms of metadata:  .svn/entries
> junk coming from the server, and caching metadata generated by ra_dav.
> We could have implemented these other forms of internal metadata in
> any number of ways.  Instead, we decided to call everything
> "properties":  "entry properties" and "wc properties".   It's cute
> that libsvn_wc has a notion of "three kinds of properties".  But for
> the person using the svn client, those categories don't exist:  it's
> all unknown machinery.  To that person, there's only one type of
> property in the whole universe:  the kind you create by running 'svn
> propset'.  I think it's wrong for 'svn propget' to accidentally reveal
> random hidden guts.

Well, I guess I agree with you.  What if someone tries to propset that
thing, for example?  Either that would succeed, which is bad, or it
would fail, which is confusing (because after all, they could see it
with propget).

+1 on filing an issue... or just fixing it...

Oh what the heck, fixed in r12523 :-)

Re: propget bug?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.