Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Koes, Derrick" <De...@smith-nephew.com> on 2003/04/25 20:21:59 UTC

(slightly off topic) video

Has anyone served videos from a database through tomcat?
What did you use as a player?  Did you stream, or download&play?
My requirements are somewhat open right now.  I've been dabbling with
Windows Media Player.  It (and its activeX object's methods/properties,
etc.) seems to handle most everything I need to do.

It does have the capability to set markers within the video, so a user can
"jump" to the right place in the video upon playback.  However, I haven't
figured out how to set the markers programmatically.  I can set them with
one of the SDK utilities called Windows Media File Editor, but I think I'm
going to need to be able to set them programmatically.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to show the first frame of the video at a
marker.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate any direction.
I know about the documentation on MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmplay/mmp_
sdk/playerobject.asp

Thanks,
Derrick

/**
 * Contact information.
 */
public class INFO
{
    static final String NAME = "Derrick Koes";
    String title = "Senior Software Engineer";
    String company = "Smith & Nephew Endoscopy";
    URL companyURL = new URL("
    http://www.smith-nephew.com/index-flash.html");
    String aolIM = "codeauthor2001";
    String EMAIL = "Derrick.Koes@smith-nephew.com";
    String PHONE = "(978) 474-6302";
    String FAX = "(978) 749-1487";
}

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Smith & Nephew and
intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain information which is
covered by legal, professional or other privilege.  If you are not the
intended addressee, or someone authorized by the intended addressee to
receive transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain,
disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this
transmission.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message.

RE: (slightly off topic) video

Posted by mike jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
I did a download and play, but it was only playing around with.  Stored
data in an Oracle BLOB and allowed download of it (retrieve via file
id).  Upload process would create the blob, download would retrieve and
send.  Fun to play with.

--mikej
-=------
mike jackson