Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <da...@yahoo.com> on 2004/01/13 08:59:12 UTC

[users@httpd] How do you shut down Apache 2.0?

I installed Apache 1.3.29 by itself on a Windows XP
Pro platform, and I could start and stop it by simply
going into All Programs > Apache and clicking Start or
Stop.

Then I installed Apache 2.0 as part of a preconfigured
package (XAMPP), but I can't figure out how to turn it
off. The instructions say, "Step 3: If installation
ends successfully, start the Apache 2 with
"apache_start".bat", MySQL with "mysql_start".bat".
Stop the MySQL Server with "mysql_stop.bat". For
shutdown the Apache HTTPD, only close the Apache
Command (CMD)."

I tracked down some online resources, including
Apache.org's website, and finally figured out how to
access the Command Prompt and how to change
directories. I got it to display C:\Program
Files\XAMPP\xampp\apache\

But I'm not sure if that's the full path, or what I'm
supposed to type next.

The Apache.org website at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html#winsvc
says, "You can install Apache as a Windows NT service
as follows from the command prompt at the Apache bin
subdirectory."

So I changed the command prompt to C:\Program
Fiiles\XAMPP\xampp\apache\bin\

Then I typed in "apache -k stop"

But I get an error message that says, "The system
cannot find the file specified. No installed servce
named "Apache 2"."

So how am I supposed to shut this thing off? I want to
turn it off so I can reinstall Apache 1.3 in a
different directory. If I can get Apache 1.3 up and
running again, then I'll probably uninstall Apache
2.0. However, I read that I can have more than one
Apache programs running on my computer simultaneously.
Is that right?

Also, when you install and ininstall programs like
Apache, PHP and MySQL, do you need to turn off all
other programs, as when you install regular software?
So far, I haven't run across any instructions to turn
off other programs or reboot my computer.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] How do you shut down Apache 2.0?

Posted by Russell Shaw <rj...@iprimus.com.au>.
David Blomstrom wrote:
> I installed Apache 1.3.29 by itself on a Windows XP
> Pro platform, and I could start and stop it by simply
> going into All Programs > Apache and clicking Start or
> Stop.
>
> Then I installed Apache 2.0 as part of a preconfigured
> package (XAMPP), but I can't figure out how to turn it
> off. The instructions say, "Step 3: If installation
> ends successfully, start the Apache 2 with
> "apache_start".bat", MySQL with "mysql_start".bat".
> Stop the MySQL Server with "mysql_stop.bat". For
> shutdown the Apache HTTPD, only close the Apache
> Command (CMD)."
>
> I tracked down some online resources, including
> Apache.org's website, and finally figured out how to
> access the Command Prompt and how to change
> directories. I got it to display C:\Program
> Files\XAMPP\xampp\apache\
>
> But I'm not sure if that's the full path, or what I'm
> supposed to type next.
>
> The Apache.org website at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html#winsvc
> says, "You can install Apache as a Windows NT service
> as follows from the command prompt at the Apache bin
> subdirectory."
>
> So I changed the command prompt to C:\Program
> Fiiles\XAMPP\xampp\apache\bin\
>
> Then I typed in "apache -k stop"
>
> But I get an error message that says, "The system
> cannot find the file specified. No installed servce
> named "Apache 2"."
>
> So how am I supposed to shut this thing off?

Try: apachectl stop

 > I want to
> turn it off so I can reinstall Apache 1.3 in a
> different directory. If I can get Apache 1.3 up and
> running again, then I'll probably uninstall Apache
> 2.0. However, I read that I can have more than one
> Apache programs running on my computer simultaneously.
> Is that right?

Maybe so, but why bother. Just remove 2.0 for 6 months.

> Also, when you install and ininstall programs like
> Apache, PHP and MySQL, do you need to turn off all
> other programs, as when you install regular software?
> So far, I haven't run across any instructions to turn
> off other programs or reboot my computer.

Any daemons usually need to be restarted if a config
file is changed (on linux, anyway).