Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by bsquared <bw...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/12 22:24:07 UTC

Help needed, Ubuntu 12.04 errors starting couchdb 1.2

Hello,
I recently installed the latest couchdb on Ubuntu 12.04.  I used the
wiki page referenced in the Install.Unix file as a reference, but I am
getting errors on startup. I have not run the test suite yet as I
figured these errors would have to be corrected first.

All the errors are similar to this line:
[Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:36:22 GMT] [error] [<0.20.0>]
                                 {error_report,<0.9.0>,
                                 {<0.20.0>,std_error, "File operation
                                 error: eacces. Target:
                                 ./couch_httpd_misc_handlers.beam. Function:
                                 get_file. Process: code_server."}}

The couchdb.log file is linked below.

Thank you.
Brian Winfrey

couchdb.log: http://gist.github.com/3100667

Re: Help needed, Ubuntu 12.04 errors starting couchdb 1.2

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.
Are you running it as root?

Posted by bsquared <bw...@gmail.com>.
Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> writes:

> from our INSTALL.Unix file;
>
> Security Considerations
> -----------------------
>
> You should create a special `couchdb` user for CouchDB.
>
> On many Unix-like systems you can run:
>
>     adduser --system \
>             --home /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb \
>             --no-create-home \
>             --shell /bin/bash \
>             --group --gecos \
>             "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb
>
> On Mac OS X you can use the Workgroup Manager to create users:
>
>   http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/serveradmintools1047.html
>
> You must make sure that:
>
>     * The user has a working POSIX shell
>
>     * The user's home directory is `/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb`
>
> You can test this by:
>
>     * Trying to log in as the `couchdb` user
>
>     * Running `pwd` and checking the present working directory
>
> Change the ownership of the CouchDB directories by running:
>
>     chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/etc/couchdb
>     chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
>     chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
>     chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/run/couchdb
>
> Change the permission of the CouchDB directories by running:
>
>     chmod 0770 /usr/local/etc/couchdb
>     chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
>     chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
>     chmod 0770 /usr/local/var/run/couchdb
>

> On 12 Jul 2012, at 22:55, bsquared wrote:
>
>> Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> writes:

>>> EACCES = unable to read/write a file. I'm guessing the couchdb beam
>>> files need a chmod +r applied for the user that runs couchdb.
>>>
>>> A+
>>> Dave
>>>
>> Thanks.
>> The file mode for the beam files is 644 (rw-r--r--).  The owner is root:root.
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Brian Winfrey

Thank you.

I uninstalled and followed the directions in the INSTALL.Unix file
rather than the wiki and it worked as advertised.

Brian Winfrey

Re: Help needed, Ubuntu 12.04 errors starting couchdb 1.2

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
from our INSTALL.Unix file;

Security Considerations

Posted by bsquared <bw...@gmail.com>.