Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alice Mello Cavallo <me...@media.mit.edu> on 2003/08/12 00:51:39 UTC

Simple java program to open a SVG file

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how all works,  but the batik project is to
complex for me, and I have not found any documentation or tutorial on how
to use the basic implemented features.
I am trying the program below, but get the SVG Error:

Unable to make sense of URL for connection

Does it mean that I can not open a local file, but only remote ones?

I will appreciate any input,
Alice

Re: Simple java program to open a SVG file

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Alice,

Alice Mello Cavallo wrote:
> I am trying to understand how all works,  but the batik project is to
> complex for me, and I have not found any documentation or tutorial on
> how to use the basic implemented features.

     Don't give up now you are _very_ close.  To be fair a lot
of your issues have been more Java issues (class path, jar files,
packages) than true Batik issues.  Please keep in mind that Batik
implements a 600 page specification that builds on several other
multi-hundred page specifications (CSS2, DOM, DOM Events), it needs
to be a large library.  Anyone on to the problem at hand.

> I am trying the program below, but get the SVG Error:
>
> Unable to make sense of URL for connection
>
> Does it mean that I can not open a local file, but only remote ones?
>
> I will appreciate any input,

    C:/Program... is not a URL it is a platform file reference.
The best way to turn this into a URL is something like:

	java.io.File file = new File("C:/Program...");
	java.net.URL url = file.toURL();
	csvg.loadSVGDocument(url.toString());

    The url version of this file ref would look something like:

	file://C:/Program....

    But File.toURL will get it right for you - so use that.