Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Robert Munn <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/03 20:42:13 UTC

Re: Problem with sending email to Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail and AOL accounts

I have also had issues with mail delivery with the big email services. The best ways I have found to improve delivery performance:

- DKIM and SPF
	https://www.zoho.com/campaigns/help/setup-spf-dkim.html <https://www.zoho.com/campaigns/help/setup-spf-dkim.html>
        https://mandrill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205582267-What-are-SPF-and-DKIM-and-how-do-I-set-them-up- <https://mandrill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205582267-What-are-SPF-and-DKIM-and-how-do-I-set-them-up->

- DMARC
- STARTTLS on port 25 for SMTP
- Proper TLS certificate chains
- reverse DNS for mail hostname
- properly set EHLO/HELO hostname

The HELO name is set in smtpserver.xml in 3.x in this XML block:

        <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in the SMTP -->
        <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover its -->
        <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery fails, -->
        <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE, James -->
        <!-- will use the specified value. -->
        <!--
        <helloName autodetect="true">myMailServer</helloName>
         —>

Set the hostname in this configuration block to your mail server name.

> [...]
>
> There was one other minor problem reporting that I do not have a DMARC record. But I think I understand how to solve that issue (by adding a TXT RR record to my DNS server) once I get DKIM working...
>
> Thanks again in advance for helping me find a way out of these woods....    Marc...
>

> On 09/24/2015 02:27 PM, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
>> Hi, Marc,
>>
>> I have had many problems with gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc bouncing my emails.  To say they are picky is an understatement.  If there is ANY problem with the structure of your email and/or your email setup, domain, dns, server IP address, and a bunch of other things , they are going to bounce it (with zero useful info to explain why). They also bounce according to how many emails you've sent depending on how 'spammy' they think the email is.  They may let a few in. But if you send 20 'suspect' emails in a day, they'll start bouncing for a day or so, then let it start passing thru again.
>>
>> I have found that the best solution is to make sure your emails and everything related to your outbound server are all completely clean according to spam analysis criteria.  A good place to start is mail-tester.com <http://www.mail-tester.com/>   Go to the web site and they'll give you a temp email address that you can send an email to.  After you send it, click the link to analyze the mail.  They will grade your email including the sending server parameters and tell you how 'good' your email is.  With detailed explanations of what is wrong.  My initial score was pretty bad. It took some time and was a royal pain to fix all of the issues. But I finally got the coveted 100% grade.  It appears gmail and others are finally happy with me and are letting my emails thru.
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> On 9/23/2015 11:32 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>> Hi, I am running James 2.3.2 on a Linux (openSuSE 12.3) and recently encountered a problem that I am unable to resolve. I use the maillist mailet to manage a mail list for a number of users and now all emails being sent by the users to accounts at AOL, Yahoo, MSN, GMail, and Hotmail are bouncing. This is something new and I have not made any changes to James's configuration for a very long time. I have checked forward checking on reverse DNS look ups both via dig and on several different DNS checking websites and that is working correctly. The log files don't give me much help as far as I can decipher them, the mailet logs just indicate that there was a problem such as -
>>>
>>> 23/09/15 16:03:20 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Exception delivering message (Mail1442594207467-7122-!518000-to-hotmail.com) - [EOF]
>>> 23/09/15 16:03:20 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary exception delivering mail (Mail1442594207467-7122-!518000-to-hotmail.com:
>>> 23/09/15 16:03:20 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Bouncing message Mail1442594207467-7122-!518000-to-hotmail.com after 25 retries