Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ben Scott <bs...@aconex.com> on 2005/10/13 07:40:48 UTC

[VFS] version issue using webdav

Hi,

I think this is a dev versioning issue, but apologies if I'm wrong
and it should have gone to the user list.

I'm trying to use commons-vfs to read and write files between my
server and another using webdav. I'm using:

The latest nightly build of commons-vfs (20051012)
commons-httpclient release 3 RC4
jakarta-slide-webdavlib 2.1

Using these I get an error when I try to resolve a webdav file I get
a invocationError error during the httpclient
setHttpConnectionManager method:

     public synchronized void setHttpConnectionManager(
         HttpConnectionManager httpConnectionManager
     ) {
         this.httpConnectionManager = httpConnectionManager;
         if (this.httpConnectionManager != null) {
             this.httpConnectionManager.getParams().setDefaults
(this.params);
         }
     }

If I inspect this.httpConnectionManager.getParams() while step
debugging I get a message 'Method "getParams" with signature"()Lorg/
apache/commons/httpclient/params/HttpConnectionManagerParams;" is not
applicable on this object'. The httpConnectionManager is a
WebdavConnectionManager. This seems to indicate the
WebdavConnectionManager in vfs implements a different version of
HttpConnectionManager interface than is expected.

I tried using RC3 of httpClient, and then 2.0.2. RC3 had the same
error, however 2.0.2 worked and I could resolve the webdave file
fine. Then however when I went to do a copyFrom I got an error:

org.apache.commons.httpclient.ProtocolException: Unbuffered entity
enclosing request can not be repeated

archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpclient-user/200506.mbox/%
3c20050610151702.GA30746@uml24.umlhosting.ch%3e  which suggests
upgrading to version 3 of httpClient to get around the problem,
leaving me back with my version issues.

Is there a combination of builds of these libraries I should be using
that will work, or is this a current bug in the system?

Thanks for your help, hope I'm not wasting anyones time too much.

Regards
Ben

Re: [VFS] version issue using webdav

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Ben Scott wrote:
> archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpclient-user/200506.mbox/%
> 3c20050610151702.GA30746@uml24.umlhosting.ch%3e  which suggests
> upgrading to version 3 of httpClient to get around the problem,
> leaving me back with my version issues.
>
> Is there a combination of builds of these libraries I should be using
> that will work, or is this a current bug in the system?
VFS uses:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-httpclient/jars/commons-httpclient-2.0.2.jar
and
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/slide/jars/jakarta-slide-webdavlib-20050629.161100.jar

Upgrading one of them is very sensitive.
Once I tried to upgrade webdavlib and then VFS couldnt list webdav
directory any longer.

I will look at it again after the 1.0 release.

Sorry!

----
Mario