Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2001/12/01 19:52:16 UTC

Re: Proposal for Validation Framework

+1

The framework has been used in production applications, and has proven
useful. It is already under the ASL, and in a Jakarta CVS, so it's just
a matter of moving the package over, as was done with BeanUtils,
Collections, and the Digester.

David has been an active Struts committer for some time, and so
breveting him as a Commons committer is easy enough.

David Winterfeldt wrote:

> This validation framework was made to work with Struts
> originally, but it will work on any JavaBean.  So in
> some discussions we thought that it might be nice if
> it was in commons so more people would know about it
> and can use it.  Also there could be more examples of
> making it work with other frameworks than Struts.
> Here is a brief description of the project and the
> link to the site where it is posted (which has
> documenation posted on it).
>
> The Validation Framework was made to work with Struts
> although it can be used to perform validation on any
> JavaBean (by using the Validator class). It can
> perform basic validations to check if a field is
> required, matches a regular expression, email, credit
> card, and server side type checking and date
> validation. Different validation rules can be defined
> for different locales. The framework has basic support
> for user defined constants which can be used in some
> field attributes. The validation routines are
> modifiable in the validation.xml file so custom
> validation routines can be created and added to the
> framework.  JavaScript can be auto-generated that
> matches the server side validation.  The current tag
> (JavascriptValidatorTag) relies on Struts, but could
> be abstracted to generate Javascript for other
> frameworks.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/
>
> Validating Outside of Struts
> http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/overview.html#validatingOutsideOfStruts
>
> Let me know if there are any questions.
>
> David Winterfeldt

Re: Validation Framework [VOTE] (was Re: Proposal for Validation Framework)

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.
+1

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's been in the Struts contrib folder and under Apache CVS for some
time, and can be checked out there or at David's site.

We almost kept it for Struts 1.1, but since it is not Struts specific,
it was decided to bring it up here instead.

The same thing is happening with Cedric's Tiles library. It can be used
with Struts, but also plays well with others, so we are proposing that
to Taglibs.

-Ted.

"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> How about throwing it into the sandbox first?
>
> Then people can look at it, play with it, and any evolution that¹s necessary
> before becoming a project can happen?
>
> (Is it struts specific?)
>
> geir
>
> On 12/4/01 7:42 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > +1 in case I didn't do so earlier.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, David Winterfeldt wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:14:16 -0800 (PST)
> >> From: David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com>
> >> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> Subject: Validation Framework [VOTE] (was Re: Proposal for Validation
> >>     Framework)
> >>
> >> Are there any other committers with questions,
> >> comments, votes?
> >>
> >> David

> >> http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/overview.html#validatingOutsideOfStru
> >> ts

> Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     geirm@optonline.net
> System and Software Consulting
> "He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Validation Framework [VOTE] (was Re: Proposal for Validation Framework)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1