Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2019/12/20 15:41:02 UTC

Examples?

I just finished an example of how to write a StreamRDF to an
RDFConnection.  I placed this in the jena-examples project and update the
pom so that it tracks the jena version.

I then noticed that the RDFConnections examples are in the jena-connections
main source tree.

I  think that all examples should go into the examples project so that
there is one place for users to go to get the example code.

I also think that the examples project should be built after the main Jena
build (so that it does not cause the build to fail if the examples fail).

Are there other thoughts about this?

Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Examples?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
The good way to make examples findable by users would be to create a
page in the documentation.

There are many more examples than RDFConnection ones. In fact,
jena-examples is merely the place some old ones ended up.  Of course,
the stream example coudl go there.

  There are only 5 java files, 3 data files, and all 8 years old.

The RDFConnection ones are linked to from the documentation, so are the
tutorial ones.  These are not in jena-examples.

There are also the tutorial java files.

The ones in-place in the modules do get compiled as the code changes for
me when I remember because I add src-examples to Eclipse projects. Some
are in the src codebase anyway and get checked.

If there were a webpage, then there exact location in git doesn't matter
so much.

I prefer this to adding to the release process. Better to notice issues
early.

Let's have the jena-examples in the build, configured so that it does
not produce an artifact by skipping "install" and "deploy" steps.
Benefits - refactoring works (if open in Eclipse) or at least the
nightly build will notice; the version number is automatically
maintained (the latest current setup (which BTW does not pass RAT
checks) depends on a fixed SNAPSHOT and will get out of date.)

     Andy

Re: Examples?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Re: Examples?