Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Darrell Budic <da...@zenfire.com> on 2013/05/13 18:22:12 UTC

active-active cluster option for 0.20?

A couple of list newbie questions about clustering in 0.20:

So I figured out that the old "active-active" clustering was removed from 0.20, which took a little while since all the documentation on the web site (http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.20/AMQP-Messaging-Broker-CPP-Book/html/chap-Messaging_User_Guide-Active_Active_Cluster.html) still references it.

I wasn't able to find any information on why this happened on the website or users lists, what's the story?

Are there any options for Active-Active clustering I'm missing? Is the intent for HA load distribution now federated groups only?

We've been running 0.14 with 3 node active-active clusters, are there any migration guides available to an equivalent setup in 0.20?

Thanks much,

  -Darrell

Re: active-active cluster option for 0.20?

Posted by Darrell Budic <da...@zenfire.com>.
Thanks for the info Gordon. I was able to make a HA cluster work, but I found that all of my clients (and the qpid-* tools) would not connect properly when I used a round robin dns entry to advertise all of the brokers. I thought they were supposed to fail to connect and then retry, but my logs looked like things were connecting, authenticating, and then getting disconnected from non-primary brokers and never trying again. I solved this by going to a rgmanager virtual ip, but still seems odd to me. And it contradicts all of the documentation that I could find... I'm running this on Centos 6.4 if it matters.

Otherwise the various docs were good, but it'd be nice to have everything consistent. I.e. remove references to active-active clusters from 0.20, and add a note the recently posted "replacing old cluster with HA" to make it obvious that the old cluster was actually removed in .20, and you need to use HA there, not just in 0.22.

  -Darrell

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/13/2013 05:22 PM, Darrell Budic wrote:
> A couple of list newbie questions about clustering in 0.20:
>
> So I figured out that the old "active-active" clustering was removed
> from 0.20, which took a little while since all the documentation on
> the web site
> (http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.20/AMQP-Messaging-Broker-CPP-Book/html/chap-Messaging_User_Guide-Active_Active_Cluster.html)
> still references it.

Sorry for the frustration!