Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by BJ <bj...@free-man.com> on 2009/07/02 09:45:56 UTC

Re: ERROR James: Cannot get IP address(es) for domain.name

linux is different than Windows.
It is looking in the host file for your localhost server, not DNS.

do a ifconfig to see if you have any DNs Server Assigned.
if you have a firewall make sure that DNS can be received by the server.
you can also do a
netstat -an
and see if your sever is connection to port 53

A. Rothman sent the following on 6/29/2009 4:41 AM:

Posted by "A. Rothman" <am...@amichais.net>.
BJ wrote:

> linux is different than Windows.

sure is :-)
> It is looking in the host file for your localhost server, not DNS.

When I configure the nameserver explicitly in James, lookup of remote
hosts succeeds but lookup of configured servernames fails - but these
are also available via dns, so shouldn't this work identically for
remote/local host lookup?

I just took a quick look at the code to see why/how it does the lookup,
and found that the code producing the error uses
InetAddress.getAllByName - shouldn't it be using
org.apache.james.dnsserver.DNSServer.getAllByName which is used
elsewhere successfully? isn't this effectively ignoring the configured
dns server? is this a bug?

Incidentally, a comment in the same code answered my question #2 - it
claims to use the resolved addresses to support delivery to
<us...@address-literal> as required by the RFC. But I've never seen
literal addresses used in practice, so I feel somewhat more comfortable
using the workaround for now.
> do a ifconfig to see if you have any DNs Server Assigned.

I don't see anything in ifconfig related to DNS - what should I be
looking for?
> if you have a firewall make sure that DNS can be received by the server.
> you can also do a
> netstat -an
> and see if your sever is connection to port 53

As a dns client, nslookup works fine, as does the remote delivery in
James when I manually configure the nameserver - so I don't think this
is a firewall problem.

Or do u mean James does in fact try to act as a dns *server*?

Thanks for your help!