Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com> on 2001/06/29 18:58:58 UTC

VOTE: JSR052 (JSP Standard Tag Library) RI

All,

As many of you know, I am a committer on the jakarta-taglibs
project and also happen to be a co-lead of the JSR052 Expert
Group (EG) (http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/52.jsp) that is
currently working on specifying a standard tag library for the
JSP specification.

The JSR052 EG has agreed to use the Open Source model for the
development and distribution of the Reference Implementation
(RI) of the JSR052 specification (aka JSPTL).

There is no specification ready yet for JSR052.  However, rather than
having to wait until a specification is ready for public consumption
(Public Review is planned for November 2001), the 052 EG has agreed to
go with an Early Access (EA) program.  The goal of this EA program is
to keep the community informed of the EG's progress as well as to give
the community a chance to experiment with the standard tag library
early in the specification process so that valuable feedback can
quickly be channelled back to the Expert Group.

The JSR052 EG sees this as a great opportunity and would like to ask
the privilege to host its work within the jakarta-taglibs
project.

Until the 052 spec is made public, the plan is to host the early
access work within a taglib named "jsptl-ea". Once the spec
is officially released for public review, the development
work would then migrate to a taglib called "jsptl".

A first code drop for the Early Access program is now ready
for integration within jakarta-taglibs. This first code drop
includes the following functionality:
    - iterator tags
    - conditional tags
    - expression language support
    - two implementations of an expression language
         - SPEL (Simplest Possible Expression Language)
         - JPath
    - tag library validators

Shawn Bayern of the 052 EG is a committer to jakarta-taglibs
and is the JSPTL RI lead. Shawn, myself, as well as other members
of the EG will be monitoring the taglibs-user and taglibs-dev aliases
to provide support as well as to gather feedback on this Early Acces
release.

Thanks for your consideration,

    -- Pierre

Re: VOTE: JSR052 (JSP Standard Tag Library) RI

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org>.
+1 for me

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1 as well

James

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

introduction and question

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
My name is Geir Magnusson Jr, and I am an overactive participant in the
Velocity community, and currently underactive in Commons.

I am very interested in the subject the 'view layer' in Java-based
webapp development, among other things.

To that end, I will be joining the JSR052 Expert Group, primarily to
contribute some of the things that I have learned from Velocity and
other templating systems.  I am also interested in the infrastructure
and mechanics of how tags work in JSP pages, a subject that I recently
dealt with when writing a taglib (which I hope to present here this
weekend...)

I have the option of joining JSR052 as an independant contributor, or as
the Apache representative, because I am a member of the ASF.  I wanted
to ask this community if there was any problem if I did the latter.

Joining as the Apache rep means Apache would have an official channel to
give direct input into the
JSR if needed.  In general, however, I would be speaking for myself.

I want to make sure that this community, taglibs, is ok with this.  This
community is already very well represented on on the EG, and I want to
make it clear that my representation as the ASF member has no real
bearing on this community, and, more importantly, ensure that everyone
is cool with this.  If someone else wishes to represent the ASF, that's
fine - the only real requirements are being an ASF member, and ideally
not work for one of the companies already represented.  As an
independant consultant, I satisfy the latter. :)

If there are any questions, feel free to discuss publicly or privately.
Also, you should feel free to direct any concerns to Jason Hunter, who
is the Apache representative on the JCP SE/EE Executive Committee.  He
can always explain anything.

geir

System and Software Consulting

Re: VOTE: JSR052 (JSP Standard Tag Library) RI

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
Hi everyone.

As you could probably guess, my vote is +1.

I'm personally looking forward to getting as much feedback as possible on
the JSPTL RI from the Jakarta Taglibs community -- both developers and
users.  Hosting the RI here would be an excellent way to achieve that.

The wealth of experience that this group has to offer has already helped
to shape the JSR052 agenda, and I think an ongoing relationship would be
valuable to everyone involved.

Regards,

Shawn

Posted by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net>.
+1

Rich Catlett        rich@more.net |  Confuscious say "Man who stand |
Programmer                        |   on toilet, high on pot!"      |