Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by delfinparis <dp...@norvax.com> on 2008/07/15 21:20:20 UTC

What software/resources to check SpamAssassin rating on marketing messages?

I currently use  GetResponse, which has a built in SpamAssassin rater that
looks at your content and code and assigns a rating - is there any direct
third party (or opensource) apps that do this as well?  I just want to make
sure our emails are as low as possible before going out!

Thanks in advance.

orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder

Posted by Ron Smith <po...@pmbx.net>.
Hi,

I'm using spamc/spamd with CommuniGate Pro. When spamd puts the file
in the submission folder it USUALLY gets a .sub extension applied
within a minute or two. However I am seeing orphaned files that are
both non-spam and spam that just get left as .tmp files. Many times
these files have multiple .tmp extensions (up to 9 or 10 of them) as
though spamd just coughed and started over.

Currently I'm examining these files and deleting the spam and using a
drag and drop renaming utility to manually submit (add the .sub
extensions) these files a couple of times a day.

Why is this happening and what settings changes will stop it? I've
tried more spamd children and less spamd children. I've turned
autowhitelisting off and on. I've checked all the mysql spamassassin
database files and they are in working order.

Here's the Startup.sh script that CommuniGate pro runs with variations
of the spamd command that I've tried:

#!/bin/sh
#SpamAssassin daemonstartup

spamd -d -x -q -u nobody -x -m 5 -r /var/Communigate/spamdprocessid
#spamd -d -x -q -u nobody -x -m 8 --ident-timeout=15  -r /var/
Communigate/spamd$
#spamd -d -x -Q -m 8 --ident-timeout=15  -r /var/Communigate/
spamdprocessid

My hardware/software setup is as follow:

Mac OS X 10.5.4 client
4 gb ram
spamd with up to 5 children
CommuniGate Pro 5.2.5
SpamAssassin 3.2.5

Re: What software/resources to check SpamAssassin rating on marketing messages?

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
delfinparis wrote:
> I currently use  GetResponse, which has a built in SpamAssassin rater that
> looks at your content and code and assigns a rating - is there any direct
> third party (or opensource) apps that do this as well?  I just want to make
> sure our emails are as low as possible before going out!

Trying to evade the filter at any cost will more probably result in mail
that will be caught!

Instead, calm down and read:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AvoidingFpsForSenders

If you send legitimate mail, then the only thing we ask you is to follow
good practices: confirmed opt-in, easy opt-out, no
deception/forgery/hiding/..., easily reachable, responsible, ... etc. Be
clear and honest. This way, your messages will resemble mail that we get
  and will hopefully not get caught.

If you still want to see what SA would say, just setup a machine with SA
and pass the message to it. but do understand that different people use
different rules (and/or scores), have different data in their Bayes, use
different NDSBLs/URIBLs/..., etc. a lot of people don't even use SA.