Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2018/10/09 13:33:58 UTC

Possible Issue Found / Misunderstanding?

Hi,

I've stumbled over something which I either didn't realized before or
simply oversight..which looks very weird to me....I would call it a bug...

I have a multi module build with several modules which means

root
  +-- pom.xml (modules in pom)
  !
  +-- m1 (pom.xml) ..
  !
  +-- m2 (pom.xml)..

so far so good.

If I do a "mvn clean"

I see the root module including the modules being shown (reactor summary)...

Now I have added a parent in the root via:

pom.xml:

<parent>
   <groupId>..</groupId>
   <artifactId>XYZ</artifactId>
   <version>..</version>
   <relativePath>parent/pom.xml</relativePath>
</parent>

and created a directory named "parent" in the above structure and added
a pom file there.

root
  +-- pom.xml (modules in pom)
  !
  +-- parent
  !     +-- pom.xml
  !
  +-- m1 (pom.xml) ..
  !
  +-- m2 (pom.xml)..

If I do a "mvn clean"

I see the list of modules including the root module but I do not see the
inserted "parent" (XYZ) which I had expected to see in the reactor
summary...

Real example: https://github.com/khmarbaise/javaee/ (branch: PARENT)..

The other thing I have observed related to this is:

"mvn install" on example of the beginning just fine.

"mvn install" on the enhanced example does not install the "parent" from
the "parent" sub directory into local cache..

What do you think?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Possible Issue Found / Misunderstanding?

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

@Stephen,
@Robert..

It is something with "simply oversight" (blind...etc.)...

not part of modules so it's not part of the reactor...of course...

Ouch...

Thank you for enlighten me...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Reactor is executionRoot going *down*, i.e all its direct and indirect
modules. But never the parent(s).

A parent pointing to a directory that is not part of the reactor is
allowed, but that doesn't make it part of the reactor.

So to me the behavior is as expected.

Robert

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If the parent is not listed in modules, I think you are getting what you
paid for!

Iow seems functioning as (perhaps badly) designed... though I do not see a
safe way to fix in 3.6.x

Sent from my phone