Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com> on 2007/09/10 21:45:47 UTC

Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

I was planning on release 1.0 of SmartURLs in the near future and doing
some announcements to the user lists and some other locations. However,
should I wait on that if favor of rolling this back into core, or should
I go ahead?

Thoughts?

-bp

Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Okay, created the tickets.

*ConfigurationProvider loading mechanism*

*Extensionless URLs*

    Don, it looks like you covered most of this. Did you add support for
"index actions"? Smart URLs handles these like this:

URL = http://www.example.com/foo
1. First check for action named foo in namespace /
2. Send redirect to http://www.example.com/foo/

URL = http://www.example.com/foo/
1. Check for action named index in namespace /foo

This is pretty standard handling by most J2EE and HTTP containers and
that's why I did it like that. The Smart URLs configuration provider
sets all of this up ahead of time based on what actions it finds in the
classpath.

*Pluggable FilterDispatcher*

-bp

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Luckily Smart URLs is A2 ;)

I agree that providing a zip is probably better. I think ensuring that
out of the box things can be configured for maximum simplicity and make
it easy for developers to get up and running should be the goal. This
mostly comes down to documentation and not necessarily with bundling.
Writing up a good document that says, "grab these 5 JARs and put them in
WEB-INF/lib" seems to be a minimal amount of overhead. The key is to
provide clear information about the standard plugins and how to get up
and running using them.

-bp

Re: [OT] Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
Don Brown wrote:
> The generally accepted terminology for release numbering is
> MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.  Yes, Struts does things strangely, but that
> doesn't change how users expect things to work.  Throwing in big
> features, and yes, I consider new annotations big features as they
> worm their way into user code, is not something I feel comfortable
> doing in a "third-level" release, or whatever we call it.
>
> In this case, the annotations will be likely redone for 2.1 anyways.
> A lot of it is my fault - they have been kinda thrown in there without
> systematic thought, and I had hoped we could fix that for 2.1.  I'd
> hate to introduce new annotations only to deprecate them weeks later.

My preference would be to wait as well.  If for nothing else, to see how
JSR-311 (RESTful web services) flushes out and whether we should adopt
some of the structure of the annotations in Struts2.  Has anyone looked
into this JSR?  I saw a presentation at Sun Tech Days the other day.  I
just need to find some time to see if it could be adopted to the
annotations in s2 now :-)

Re: [OT] Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
I'd like to solidify a package names. One of the headaches we
experienced was the conversion between the two versions of
zero-conf/code-behind because of the package names. I'm fine with moving
my packages around into the struts namespace, but if you guys decide to
add these annotations for 2.0.x I think they should be put into their
final package so to speak and fix everything to use those package names.

-bp

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/13, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:

> Of course, sadly, Hibernate is under the LGPL, which the FSF insists
> is not compatible with the Apache License <deep-melancholy-sigh/> :(

You can use Apache Cayenne then :-)

Antonio

Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 9/13/07, Jim Cushing <ji...@mac.com> wrote:
> A Maven archetype should get you around any license/distribution
> issues,

Yes and no. We have to be careful to make it *very* clear to the
general public that by utilizing such a prototype they will be
creating an application that is not under the Apache License, and any
application that the create may be covered by another license.

The guiding point is that the general public has an expectation that
any software obtained from an ASF project is not encumbered by any
license more restrictive than the Apache License.

So, yes, we can distribute such a prototype, but we need to warn
people about the licensing  encumbrance if they use that prototype. A
prototype that includes a dependency with a more restrictive license
might be fine for an alternative setup, but it wouldt be problematic
for anything we were going to call the "standard" setup.

Of course, sadly, Hibernate is under the LGPL, which the FSF insists
is not compatible with the Apache License <deep-melancholy-sigh/> :(

See also: http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

-Ted.

Re: Should I announce SmartURLs or wait?

Posted by Jim Cushing <ji...@mac.com>.
A Maven archetype should get you around any license/distribution
issues, provided the dependencies are in a public Maven repository.
Then, Maven will download the dependencies, such that they don't need
to be bundled. It's nice, but not necessary, that the plugins have
Maven POMs (for the sake of transitive dependencies), and that
doesn't necessarily mean the plugin must be built using Maven 2.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
It shouldn't be too hard to create a struts2-standard.jar, which
contains the contents of struts2-core plus several choice plugins.
Spring puts out a spring.jar, which contains their trusted modules,
and I don't see why we couldn't do anything similar.  Of course, we'd
have to choose plugins that don't conflict and we'd have to write a
tool that would combine their struts-plugin.xml into one file, but
both should be trivial.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.