Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Wayne Schroeder <ws...@pinsightmedia.com> on 2014/02/25 22:04:40 UTC

Default serial consistency level

I have some conditional insert/update operations that set quorum consistency.  I was using this with the 1.0 driver, back before the 2.0 features required the 2.0 driver.  Now that I'm on the 2.0 driver, I have found the new setSerialConsistencyLevel routine for statements.  Multiple places it refers to a default serial consistency for the paxos operation, but I cannot find any documentation as to what the default is (SERIAL vs LOCAL_SERIAL).  I continue to use QUORUM for the learn phase, as the default, but am unsure if I need to be setting the serial consistency.

My assumption is that the default is SERIAL and I do not need to set anything as this is what I want.

Wayne

Re: Default serial consistency level

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Wayne Schroeder <
wschroeder@pinsightmedia.com> wrote:

> I have some conditional insert/update operations that set quorum
> consistency.  I was using this with the 1.0 driver, back before the 2.0
> features required the 2.0 driver.  Now that I'm on the 2.0 driver, I have
> found the new setSerialConsistencyLevel routine for statements.  Multiple
> places it refers to a default serial consistency for the paxos operation,
> but I cannot find any documentation as to what the default is (SERIAL vs
> LOCAL_SERIAL).  I continue to use QUORUM for the learn phase, as the
> default, but am unsure if I need to be setting the serial consistency.
>
> My assumption is that the default is SERIAL and I do not need to set
> anything as this is what I want.

That is a correct assumption (the driver has that default somewhat
documented at
http://www.datastax.com/drivers/java/2.0/apidocs/com/datastax/driver/core/QueryOptions.html#DEFAULT_SERIAL_CONSISTENCY_LEVELbut
arguably that might not be the easiest place to find it at).