Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pe...@luciad.com> on 2010/03/01 12:00:10 UTC

Re: Next release

It would be nice if BUILDR-348 could be resolved for 1.4.0. We are
planning on using buildr as internally running on jruby 1.4. Right now
this issue means I will either have to maintain a custom buildr build or
have every developer patch the buildr installation by hand.

Any idea on the root cause of this problem? Does commenting out that one
line have any other side effects?

Regards,

Pepijn

--
Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt - Project Leader
T +32 16 23 95 91

LUCIAD - high performance visualization
Wetenschapspark Arenberg | Gaston Geenslaan 9
3001 Leuven | Belgium | www.luciad.com

Re: Next release

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
Very cool. I'll let headius know we are past that hurdle. Thanks everybody!

Re: Next release

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pe...@luciad.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pe...@luciad.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pe...@luciad.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
See my comment on BUILDR-348.

Re: Next release

Posted by Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <pe...@luciad.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Re: Next release

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <
pepijn.vaneeckhoudt@luciad.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if BUILDR-348 could be resolved for 1.4.0. We are planning
> on using buildr as internally running on jruby 1.4. Right now this issue
> means I will either have to maintain a custom buildr build or have every
> developer patch the buildr installation by hand.
>
> Any idea on the root cause of this problem? Does commenting out that one
> line have any other side effects?

The issue is that JRuby use{s,d} the JVM's System.exec() call to spawn
external processes, which isn't 100% equivalent to Unix system() call.  For
instance, if you spawned a process like 'vim' or a language shell like
'scala' or 'irb', then you wouldn't be able to interact with the sub-process
correctly due to incomplete redirection of all terminal capabilities.

To solve this, we override the system() call to circumvent the JRuby's
system call and directly call the native system() using FFI.

I don't know what's the state of things on JRuby 1.4.0 + Windows but some
internals seem to have changed which is why we're getting the error
described in BUILDR-348.  Somebody needs to investigate what works/doesn't
work on Windows -- the workaround I provided on BUILDR-348 simply reverts to