Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2016/02/06 14:28:24 UTC

Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?

I'm helping out the AsterixDB podling assembling a first release with bundled
binaries, and one of the advises I've given is that:

   For bundled ASF artifacts you need to merge (at least) their name and
   copyright year statement, to be compliant with ASL 2.0, section 4.d [1]

However Justin (see below) seems to indicate that even this is not needed?
The reference to [2] as clarification however doesn't seems to be sufficient.
I'd like to know if there is more / clearer clarification available on this.
Or if there is not then this should be made explicit, required or not.

Thanks, Ate

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-asterixdb-dev/201602.mbox/%3C56B16910.8050702%40douma.nu%3E
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

Re: Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/6/16, 8:29 AM, "Marvin Humphrey" <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

>So the question is, what parts of NOTICE pertaining to Apache projects
>must we
>propagate, and what portions can we omit?  I'd say that the name of the
>Apache
>project and the copyright statement ought to be bubbled up.
>
>And this interpretation is consistent with the guidance in the Licensing
>How-To:
>
>    http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto#bundle-asf-product
>
>    It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes
>software
>    developed at the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF
>copyright
>    line and any other portions of NOTICE must be considered for
>propagation.

I don't disagree with your logic, but just for the sake of argument, I
assume we are talking about these two lines:

  Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
  Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

I would argue that the copyright of an ASF dependency, if it follows this
template, does not need to be propagated because it is a collective
copyright and the dependency is now part of a larger collective copyright
which is going to be the 2nd line of the NOTICE for the actual
distribution.  And by doing so, you make the NOTICE one line shorter for
every dependency and avoid duplicate copyright lines with varying year
ranges.  If the copyright notice is not from this template, then the
decision might depend on those differences.

And I would argue that we should change the rules for LICENSE and put all
bundled dependencies, ASF or non-ASF, in the LICENSE so there is one place
to look and avoid propagating the product name from NOTICE and save
another line per dependency.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>>   It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes software
>>   developed at the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF copyright
>>   line and any other portions of NOTICE must be considered for propagation.

I’m also not sure that that agrees with this [1] + [2], as far as I’m aware additional notice is not required with an Apache license.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
2. http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices

Re: Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

>    It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes software
>    developed at the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF copyright
>    line and any other portions of NOTICE must be considered for propagation.

Which seem a a little unclear, consider to me mean it may or may not be needed. Should the wording be imported here?

If any bundled Apache copyright should be go in notice then a lot of projects are not doing this. As you say it not a big issue, but I guess there a slightly higher risk with non ASF Apache licensed software.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> I'm helping out the AsterixDB podling assembling a first release with
> bundled binaries, and one of the advises I've given is that:
>
>   For bundled ASF artifacts you need to merge (at least) their name and
>   copyright year statement, to be compliant with ASL 2.0, section 4.d [1]

The risk of actual legal action in this case is minimal because it would be
one Apache project complaining to another :) but we still should do our best
to adhere to the terms of our own licensing.

Section 4.d of the ALv2 allows for some material in NOTICE to be omitted when
propagating its contents:

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0#redistribution

   ... excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the
   Derivative Works,...

So the question is, what parts of NOTICE pertaining to Apache projects must we
propagate, and what portions can we omit?  I'd say that the name of the Apache
project and the copyright statement ought to be bubbled up.

And this interpretation is consistent with the guidance in the Licensing
How-To:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto#bundle-asf-product

    It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes software
    developed at the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF copyright
    line and any other portions of NOTICE must be considered for propagation.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.