Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Castro <dc...@apu.edu> on 2002/10/14 23:42:03 UTC

Re: Segfaults when using XML::Parser

I have found this section under the "Warnings and Errors Troubleshooting"
on the web site.  It states:

	If you have some of the processes segfault when using XML::Parser you
	should use

	--disable-rule=EXPAT

	during the Apache configuration step.

	Starting from mod_perl version 1.23 this option is disabled by default.

It is unclear to me where this disable-rule is specified.  I would assume
in apache, but then it makes a statement that the option has been disabled
by default for mod_perl 1.23+.  That seems to imply the option is in
mod_perl?

Can someone please give me specific information about how I would go about
using this disable-rule to fix the afformentioned problem.

Can someone also give me some information on why this is needed to fix the
problem...what is the root cause of this problem?  I have only ran into
this problem on my fully updated RedHat 7.3 box (apache 1.3.23 & mod_perl
1.26), not my RH 6.2 (apache 1.3.12 & mod_perl 1.24) boxes.  Please
advise.

-------------
David Castro
Software Architect
Collaborative Technologies
Information & Media Technology
Azusa Pacific University

"My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue,
but in deed and in truth." -- 1 Jn 3:18 (NKJ)

Re: Segfaults when using XML::Parser

Posted by David Castro <dc...@apu.edu>.
Thanks.  I found that I was using a custom apache build without that
enabled, but it is fixed now with a newer apache RPM for redhat.

Thanks again.

-------------

Posted by Bruno Connelly <br...@whack.org>.
  David> 	If you have some of the processes segfault when using
  David> 	XML::Parser you should use

  David> 	--disable-rule=EXPAT

  David> 	during the Apache configuration step.
  David>
  David> 	Starting from mod_perl version 1.23 this option is
  David> 	disabled by default.

  David> It is unclear to me where this disable-rule is specified.

In the configure line for Apache, like so:

  ./configure --disable-rule=EXPAT \
              --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a

  David> I would assume in apache, but then it makes a statement that
  David> the option has been disabled by default for mod_perl 1.23+.
  David> That seems to imply the option is in mod_perl?

That's assuming you have the mod_perl distribution build Apache for
you, not if you're doing it the other way around.

  David> Can someone please give me specific information about how I
  David> would go about using this disable-rule to fix the
  David> afformentioned problem.

The above should help.