Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2010/02/23 07:10:17 UTC

2010 HPC trends and Hama project

Obviously, the HPC (High Perfomance Computing) and
Scientific-Computing market is expected to continuously growing.
According to IDC, the current HPC market is around $10 billion, which
is 20% of the total server market. The research company has forecast
the HPC market to grow to $15.6 billion by 2012.

By the way, In my opinion, currently, the non-IT company (e.g.,
chemistry, bio-medical, ... , etc) needs these HPC technologies,
rather than web service IT company. Because, innovation of web service
doesn't always require a high degree of skill or scientific computing.
(Of course, there is some demands from the part of graph/network data
processing in web service IT company)

For this reason, I guess the Hama project is not popular enough yet.
Thus, I think we need to appeal the the developer community in the
non-IT fields, in order to make our community more active.

As a first stage, How about we implement the Hama as a solution aimed
at small HPC market? The best practice better than thousand theories.

WDYT?
edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: 2010 HPC trends and Hama project

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you in that we can find Hama's example applications from
small HPC market

Firstly, however, we need to investigate some requirements of small HPC market.
Let's discuss what is requirements for small HPC market.

Best regards,
--
Hyunsik Choi
Database & Information Systems Group, Korea Univ.