Posted to users@jena.apache.org by we...@zueblin.de on 2018/04/11 14:10:17 UTC

Fuseki: DNS specification

Dear Apache Jena Users,

I registered to this mailing list only yesterday, so please excuse any
misunderstandings.
We try to run a Fuseki server behind a load balancer to allow access from
outside our company. Unfortunately, we are not able to create any datasets
within the web application. The error message is: "Sorry, that didn't work
because: Not found". If we compare the network messages from within the
browser to those that are shown when using an internal IP address, it seems
like the DNS address is the problem. The jquery-1.10.2.min.js function
tries to call the following address:
https://url_name/3030//url_name:/$/datasets (instead of
http://ip_address:3030/$/datasets, like in the internally hosted
application). This leads to two questions:
1) Why is the url_name mentionned twice? Is there any configuration to set
a DNS name manually?
2) Are redirections from http to https allowed? Is it required (and
possible) to set 443 as a port?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
i.A. Dr. Wendelin Sprenger

Zentrale Technik
Direktion Digitalisierung und Softwareengineering  ·  Digitalisation and
Software Engineering
BIM.5D

Dr. Wendelin Sprenger
Teamleiter  ·  Team Leader

Ed. Züblin AG
Albstadtweg 3 · 70567 Stuttgart · Germany
Fon +49 711 7883 - 8692  ·  Fax +49 711 7883 - 179
Mobil +49 170 8576343
www.zueblin.de  ·  wendelin.sprenger@zueblin.de

Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Thomas Birtel
Vorstand:
Dipl.-Ing. Jörn Beckmann M. Eng.,  Dr. Ulrich Klotz M. Sc.,  Dipl.-Ing.
Klaus Pöllath,
Dipl.-Ing. Edgar Schömig,  Dr. Alexander Tesche,  Dipl.-Betriebsw. (FH)
Ulrich Weinmann,
Jörg Wellmeyer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart, Amtsgericht: Stuttgart, HRB 110,
USt-IdNr.: DE 147 843 723

Re: Fuseki: DNS specification

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 18/04/18 20:31, Syed durraiz Ahmad wrote:

> laravel comes with its own default datebases like mysql. it is
> configured in various files as follows(attatched-images):
> i need help in re writing/editing these configurations for my project.
> so that instead of mysql database, my project starts using
> fuseki-server's dataset.

You'll need to find out how to get laravel to work with RDF. Fuseki is
accessed by URL.

     Andy

This list does not accept image attachments.
Please don't jump on unrelated threads.

Re: Fuseki: DNS specification

Posted by Syed durraiz Ahmad <sy...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 17/04/18 19:24, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> I've not used http mod_proxy_balancer (I've used reverse proxies and IP
> level load balancers) so treat this with caution:
>
> -------------------------------
> Listen 8001
>
> <VirtualHost *:8001>
>     ServerName localhost
>     <Proxy *>
>      Order deny,allow
>      Allow from all
>     </Proxy>
>     ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:3030/
>     ProxyPreserveHost On
>
>      ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/
>      <Proxy balancer://mycluster>
>         BalancerMember http://localhost:3030
>      </Proxy>
>
> </VirtualHost>
> -------------------------------
> worked for me.
>
> Also without the "ProxyPreserveHost On"
>
> Your original message was "Not Found" which suggests somewhere
that the URLs don't match or get translated on the incoming request
somewhere.  It might be as little as a "/" in the wrong place. I can't
seem to make that happen though.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> Zentrale Technik
> Direktion Digitalisierung und Softwareengineering  ·  Digitalisation and
> Software Engineering
> BIM.5D
>

> Dr. Wendelin Sprenger
> Teamleiter  ·  Team Leader
>
> Ed. Züblin AG
> Albstadtweg 3 · 70567 Stuttgart · Germany
> Fon +49 711 7883 - 8692  ·  Fax +49 711 7883 - 179
> Mobil +49 170 8576343
> www.zueblin.de  ·  wendelin.sprenger@zueblin.de
>

> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Thomas Birtel
> Vorstand:
> Dipl.-Ing. Jörn Beckmann M. Eng.,  Dr. Ulrich Klotz M. Sc.,  Dipl.-Ing.
> Klaus Pöllath,
> Dipl.-Ing. Edgar Schömig,  Dr. Alexander Tesche,  Dipl.-Betriebsw. (FH)
> Ulrich Weinmann,
> Jörg Wellmeyer
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart, Amtsgericht: Stuttgart, HRB 110,

Fuseki: DNS specification

Posted by we...@zueblin.de.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Wendelin,

On 11/04/18 15:10, wendelin.sprenger@zueblin.de wrote:

> Dear Apache Jena Users,
>
> I registered to this mailing list only yesterday, so please excuse any
> misunderstandings.

Welcome!

> We try to run a Fuseki server behind a load balancer to allow access from
> outside our company.

Is the load balancer also providing reverse proxy capabilities? I'm
guessing it is redirecting to something along the lines of
"http://internal_ip_address:3030/..."

> Unfortunately, we are not able to create any datasets
> within the web application. The error message is: "Sorry, that didn't work
> because: Not found".

You may need to change shiro.ini - by default, the admin interface only
works for "localhost" but that does not cause a 404 not found.

> If we compare the network messages from within the
> browser to those that are shown when using an internal IP address, it seems
> like the DNS address is the problem. The jquery-1.10.2.min.js function
> tries to call the following address:
> https://url_name/3030//url_name:/$/datasets (instead of
> http://ip_address:3030/$/datasets, like in the internally hosted
> application). This leads to two questions:
> 1) Why is the url_name mentionned twice?

I don't know -  it looks like the host/port address is wrong, maybe in
the reverse proxy setup.

> Is there any configuration to set
> a DNS name manually?

No, there isn't.

Generally, what I have been wondering is why the code creates absolute
URLs in the javascript, not relative ones. Then it would work across
protocol (http, https) host name translation and ports.

Ports are know to be a problem with docker.

> 2) Are redirections from http to https allowed? Is it required (and
> possible) to set 443 as a port?

Yes but I don't know if https works for one part of the path and http
(e.g internal hop) for another works.

Could you give detail about the setup?  This looks like one of those
situations where the details matter.

     Andy