Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Han,Meng" <me...@ufl.edu> on 2013/06/25 04:53:47 UTC

[GSOC] cloudstack-agent service and "unable to add host"

Hi all,

In the CloudStack installation guides(both 4.0 and 4.1), it says that
we need to install cloud-agent.
(http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Installation_Guide/hypervisor-kvm-install-flow.html#hypervisor-host-install-agent)

However I could not find this package. Instead I found a directory
named "agent" in the CloudStack master branch.

Is it the same agent? How should I run this agent?
Also it is mentioned here that we should configure a couple of things
after we installed cloud agent
:http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.2/html/Quick_Install_Guide/sect-qig-KVM-Installation.html
What configuration do I need to make to the cloud agent? It seems to me
at least  we should told the agent which bridges the VMs are connected
to. There is a script called "cloud-setup-agent" under the agent
directory. Should we use this to configure the agent?

I have stuck on these question for a couple of days. I seems to grab
pieces from every installation guide I can find to make things through
:(

Also in the network configuration part:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Installation_Guide/hypervisor-kvm-install-flow.html#hypervisor-host-install-network

  We assume that the hypervisor has one NIC (eth0) with three tagged
VLAN's:

     VLAN 100 for management of the hypervisor
     VLAN 200 for public network of the instances (cloudbr0)
     VLAN 300 for private network of the instances (cloudbr1)

I am not allowed to use tagged VLANs on campus, which means my VMs will
not be able to connect to internet. Is there anyway to work around this?
Can we use a "flat" network structure?

If we setup these two bridges: cloudbr0 and cloudbr1, how does the
cloud agent know these two bridges?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Meng

Re: [GSOC] cloudstack-agent service and "unable to add host"

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:51:32PM -0400, Han,Meng wrote:
> I encountered a few problems while following 4.0 quick install guide.
>
> 1. cloudstack-management service can be started, but dies quickly.
> It is the same problem listed
> here:https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-2758
> I know the master branch is properly patched to fix this problem.
> Are the packages in the following link updated as well?
> http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/rhel/4.1/

Not that I know of. 4.1 was released with this known issue. The plan
is to fix this and other issues in the point release 4.1.1. For now
the workaround mentioned in the bug report is unfortunately the only
solution.

> 2. Invalid username or password at initial login to CloudStack UI
> using the default admin/password.
>
> I tried the installation several times. This error showed
> frequently. But the reason for this error varied. In my case, the
> following reasons are included, hardware does not support
> virtulization extension(I tried install everything inside a VM
> once), cloudstack-agent is not running...
>
> I feel that this error is a little bit misleading. Because I checked
> the data in mysql, the user name and password are properly set to
> admin/password.

Usually, this happens when the ApiServer does not come up
successfully. Sometimes the error will be found in catalina.out, so do
check over there. How much memory have you given for your managment
server VM? It might be running out of memory.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [GSOC] cloudstack-agent service and "unable to add host"

Posted by "Han,Meng" <me...@ufl.edu>.
Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for your reply.

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:54:46 -0400, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Meng,
>
> I am not sure where you stand on this, but you should not use VLANs.
>
> Just setup a basic zone (no vlans needed) , use the packages from the
> repository and don't even try to compile from source.

It turned out that I didn't configure the repository correctly. Now I
can install cloud-client and cloud-agent.

> All information should be in the installation guide (not the quick
> install guide, which is not valid for 4.1).
>
> This script might help you:
>
> http://simonljb123.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/installation-of-cloudstack-4-0-kvm-hypervisor-host-with-onekey/
>
> but this is only for 4.0. In 4.1 the package names have changed from
> cloud- to cloudstack-

Just figured this out yesterday :)

> I will do an install on monday and get back with you (have not done
> an install in a while).

I tested the quick install guide 4.0 and created a quick install guide
for 4.1. Tested the 4.1 guide successfully on my desktop.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Meng,