Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Azly <az...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/01 20:11:42 UTC

Re: Reclaiming of unused space (growing data dir)

Hi,

No I have the consumers & the producers connected at the same time.
I also see the message "Cleaning up old messages." in the logs (with the SQL
query) but the directory is still growing.    Is this a problem with derby ?
There is 0 old messages in the tables but the datadir is 1G size.  This
situation cannot be in a production env supporting a 7/24 because we cannot
always stops activemq, check if all queues/topics are empty and then delete
the directory.

Why didn't you delete derby's tables when you detected 0 old message(s).
Any tips to resolve this problem will be appreciate.

Thanks

Re: Reclaiming of unused space (growing data dir)

Posted by Kalv <ka...@kalv.co.uk>.
I have been looking into the derby database backend a little because I let my
queue get to a vary large size of 2million and it's taking a while to start
up again.

But anyway forget that - You might want to read this page:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefaltertablecompress.html

It seems derby doesn't free up space from indexes and tables, a bit wierd
but it could be what's happening here.

Watch this command - it seems to copy your current db into new space or
something because my 18G grew to 34gb and then failed cause i ran out of
disk space !!

I don't know how activemq could call this though?

Re: Reclaiming of unused space (growing data dir)

Posted by Azly <az...@gmail.com>.
Any hints