Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch> on 2018/06/05 08:15:09 UTC

Microsoft buys GitHub

Hello,

I'm a bit worried about Microsoft steering the future of open-source projects' online collaboration and tooling with their GitHub purchase: https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2018/06/04/microsoft-github-empowering-developers/

I wonder if there's anything we need to rethink in terms of our project's dependence on GitHub PRs, etc.

--emi

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Martin Weißhaupt <mw...@googlemail.com>.
Hi John,

no problem.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft either and I try to do as much as possible with
free software and only use proprietary Software if necessary.
We shouldn't trust them blindly but I think it is not necessary to panic
about the aquisition. As long as everyone oposes vendor lock in the open
source projects are free to leave the platform any time.
And I said I'm not a lawyer so maby my idea of the regulators stepping in
are a bit naive ;-)

Regards,
Martin

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 06/05/2018 06:45 PM, John McDonnell wrote:
> Have to say I'm a little perplexed at all the negativity surrounding the
> news on this.

> Yes, there will obviously be some MS tie-ins, be it Azure or Visual Studio
> (Code), etc.

That's exactly what people are concerned about. As Thomas Wuerthinger of
Oracle Labs tweeted, "After this acquisition GitHub could lose its
status as a neutral open source collaboration platform."

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
PS: It seems the ASF does have Review Board available at https://reviews.apache.org We could try to use this too.

--emi

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

RE: Microsoft buys GitHub Rule R217

Posted by Marc Beck <pa...@earthlink.net>.
M$ did break/mess up everything they touched. Can't see why eventually it
will be different here

Marc

Posted by Kirk Pepperdine <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Hi Jim,

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Jim Powell <po...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 5:45 PM John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have to say I'm a little perplexed at all the negativity surrounding the
> news on this.
>
> I don't see the Microsoft under the Satya Nadella as comparable to
> previous eras of the company.  There's no way they'd buy GitHub and then
> strip it down, or whatever some people are saying(there's some crazy ideas
> out there), look at how their using it now. They are considered to be one
> of the largest open source contributors on GitHub(3839 people in the MS
> organisation on GitHub, and 1839 repos), why purchase this and then ruin
> it?  their staff are using it more than anyone right now
>
> Yes, there will obviously be some MS tie-ins, be it Azure or Visual Studio
> (Code), etc... But there could also be other changes, that maybe GitHub
> could make previously, etc.. and not everyone will agree with all the
> upcoming changes, specifically if there's an MS bias in them, but in
> fairness, no change will ever suit everyone.
>
> Let's see what they do first before judging them.
>
> And like has already been said, it's fairly easy to change a remote host on
> git...
>
> John

I’m sorry, but as a professor who has had to spend the bulk of his teaching
career telling students to not use MS products because they don’t follow
standards, I’m on the other side, condemn the news until they prove they
aren’t the useless organization they have always been.

Jim

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by John Muczynski <jo...@gmail.com>.
Dear Martin,

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by John Yeary <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ouch!

____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________
*NetBeans Dream Team*

*Founder Greenville Java Users GroupJava Users Groups Community Leader*
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
<http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
<http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch> wrote:
> The frog is boiled slowly...

The ASF insists on all our repositories being mirrored on servers that
we control [1] exactly for such reasons: being dependent on GitHub or
any other commercial service would not work for our "we'll still be
around in 50 years" mission.

GitHub is very useful to our projects but if it were to go away of if
their terms became unacceptable we can drop it and use something else,
without losing any history.

I hope situations like this help explain why the ASF is so picky about
such things, like keeping full control on our code and data.

-Bertrand

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
The frog is boiled slowly.

--emi

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Martin Weißhaupt <mw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Kirk Pepperdine <ki...@kodewerk.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Ognyan Kulev <og...@ognyankulev.com>.
Facebook was a pioneer in mass profiling of the general world
population. Now Microsoft, armed with LinkedIn and GitHub, is in
position to do the same for the developer world population. (Do you
remember "developers, developers, developers"?) Microsoft needs to keep
GitHub users happy and sharing and forking and pulling, and will make
everything it can for technical excellency of GitHub.

Best regards,
Ognyan

На  5.06.2018 в 17:52, Ognyan Kulev написа:

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Ognyan Kulev <og...@ognyankulev.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
This mirrors my view of Microsoft 100%… their “success" held back the computer industry by about 10 years.
I remember my fancy multitasking Commodore Amiga with sound and colour and GUI and a decent processor architecture… while MS and PCs had DOS and segmented memory, ugh.

They have a track record of ruining nearly everything they touch.

Regarding GitHub, I vastly prefer Mercurial anyway, so I’ve never been a GitHub fan.  (In the end it doesn’t much matter though, it’s just betamax is better than VHS all over again…)

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hello all,

Am Mittwoch, den 06.06.2018, 11:19 -0700 schrieb Chuck Davis:
> If Git is the tool of choice I say let Apache set up it's own Git
> repositories for Apache projects.

it would be great if the noise on this list could get down. You
obviously did not read the Email from Bertrand Delacretaz:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b67faf6913e8720f805a79137d34fe794d4d04c026c5f6f7e9767044@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

TL;DR: If Microsoft turn github of tomorrow, we loose the current easy
contribution style, the repository is still there. The repository is
mirrored to apache:

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-netbeans.git;a=summary

So it would be inconvenient, but the world will keep spinning if github
goes dark.

My take on this: We loose nothing if we first observe what happens on
github, before we make heated decisions.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
> > ...In practice we never saw a patch being discussed on the mailing list...
>
> Maybe you're too young for that ;-)

--emi

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
Encouraging read

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/8pc8mf/im_nat_friedman_future_ceo_of_github_ama/?limit=500

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Stephen Parry <sg...@mainscreen.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Kirk Pepperdine <ki...@kodewerk.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Re: AW: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emilian,

Re: AW: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

AW: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Hi Marc!

We (ASF) never did rely on github.
We host all our repos itself. For git-wip the cannonical repos are solely hosted on ASF hardware.
For gitbox repos the main repo load is on github, but we have an instant GIT mirror on ASF hardware.
So we always have an exact clone of the whole repo - and because of the nature of GIT also of all the history.

In other words: GitHub is just one more additional channel to contribute.
So it really doesn't affect us at all. Even if GitHub would be down from one day to the other.

There are a few things which I don't like on github for ASF projects.
But that has nothing to do with Microsoft taking over nor with the nature of GIT (and I know a bit about GIT ;))
I dislike that it splits our communication channels. We now have our mailing lists, the JIRA tracker, github bugs, pull requests, and what not.
And every of this channels contains some discussions. So we split our community communication.
Yes, we try to catch all the GitHub communication and feed it back to our mailing lists. But imo that's rather clumsy and spams our lists.
Probably something we might be able to improve though.

Apart from that nothing did change for us. We are all save, NetBeans is not lost because Microsoft acquired GitHub ;)

LieGrue,
starb

Microsoft buys GitHub

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Charles Bedon <ch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't think the problem is "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" anymore. You
> don't spend 7.5 billions if you don't expect some serious ROI, so they will
> try to monetize the platform as much as possible (which is totally
> understandable). Microsoft don't have a good track record on improving the
> products they buy. so they will either kill it after sometime if they don't
> make enough money out of it, or Skypify/Linkedinfy it ad nauseam. Been
> there, done that.

My bet is it's a "collecting underwear" thing - i.e. they know developers
are important, and know there are lots of developers on Github, therefore
it has to be good for something.  Likely justified with several nefarious
business plans that can't possibly work, like sticking a "Deploy to the
Microsoft Cloud" button on every project whether that makes sense or not,
and some mumbo jumbo of cross referencing LinkedIn and GitHub to make the
ultimate developer social network, when then, simply has to be good for ...
something.

Honestly, when I think of Microsoft, I think of the immeasurable harm they
did to progress in computing.  There was going to be a PC on every desktop
regardless.  They just ensured that PC ran a horrifically flawed,
vulnerable, broken by design OS.  Convenient as it is, I think you can
trace a big chunk of the rapid explosion of mobile computing to people
using a non-windows device for the first time and thinking "OMG, you mean
viruses, malware, ransomware, antivirus software that spies on you and blue
screens of death aren't the way all computing *simply **is*?  You mean that
isn't *normal*?!"  How much further along would pretty well *everything* be
if millions hadn't been trapped in a world of 32 bits, synchronous I/O,
backdoors, wide-open OS-wide configuration databases, never mind it being a
black box, for an extra decade?

So, no matter how warm and cuddly they appear now, there are a lot of
career employees who have the "old Microsoft" baked into their bones.  In
the long run, I suspect Nadella will go the way of Jonathan Schwartz at
Sun, and sharks will be back in charge one day, one way or another.  I
liked Jonathan, and he both cared about and was able to think holistically
the broad ecosystem of software, but in the industry he's the laughingstock
who gave away the farm.

So, my prediction is one day Oracle buys Microsoft, hangs Satya Nadella
from the yardarm as a warning to others, and a few months later GitHub gets
shut down, not because it isn't making money by then, but simply because
the person who shuts it down needs to do some gratuitous harm to someone to
prove they're "Oracle tough" (that's a thing) enough to deserve a promotion.

In the short term, though, Github will likely not get worse, so there's
plenty of time to have a contingency plan in place.  A GitHub monoculture
was never a great idea anyway.

-Tim

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Charles Bedon <ch...@gmail.com>.
I don't think the problem is "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" anymore. You
don't spend 7.5 billions if you don't expect some serious ROI, so they will
try to monetize the platform as much as possible (which is totally
understandable). Microsoft don't have a good track record on improving the
products they buy. so they will either kill it after sometime if they don't
make enough money out of it, or Skypify/Linkedinfy it ad nauseam. Been
there, done that.

Charles Edward Bedón Cortázar
www.kuwaiba.org| Network Management, Data Analysis and Free Software |
twitter.com/kuwaiba
Open Source Network Inventory for the masses!
http://kuwaiba.sourceforge.net | Follow Kuwaiba on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/kuwaiba>
Linux Registered User #386666

AW: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: Microsoft buys GitHub

Posted by Efrem Mc <ef...@gmail.com>.
Hi all, I second that statement in concern.  We will either look to
the past of previous acquisitions or maybe this is a new directive to
be open friendly.  How is the X-box development community and
competitors view Microsoft's entry into the game console marketplace
from alpha to omega?

A company of words and not of deeds (a derivative of "A Man of Words
... - something I was taught in the 4th grade...").

Regards,

Efrem Mc

Ref:

https://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=1373