Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Swapnil Sawant <Sw...@lntinfotech.com> on 2010/08/12 07:33:33 UTC

Query regarding ofbiz-BIRT integration

Hi,

I am new to report generation in ofbiz using BIRT GUI. For achieving report generation in ofbiz, I follow below steps :

1.       Prepare the report using BIRT GUI (designing format of report, assigning entity data to the fields in it)

2.       Generate the code out of it .

3.       Once code is generated, I need to change that auto-generated code from BIRT GUI for some of the following things :

a.       Writing ofbiz logic (e.g. fetching data from ofbiz entity using delegator.findBy.. )in open and fetch methods

b.      Change the entity field names from BIRT GUI format to ofbiz entity fields (e.g. emplId field in ofbiz entity becomes EMPL_ID in BIRT auto-generated code)

4.       Once above filtration  is done then only I can use "rptdesign" file in my ofbiz code.

Hence, I wanted to know is there any way by which we can eliminate step - 3 and start using BIRT auto-generated code directly in ofbiz in order to achieve following benefits :

-          Making maintenance of reports very easy

-          Reduce the development hours

-          Smooth integration of BIRT and ofbiz

Thanks & Regards,
Swapnil Sawant

________________________________
This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Re: Query regarding ofbiz-BIRT integration

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
If you have reviewed the Birt example in ofbiz that is probably the best
there is.
https://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/example/control/Report
in the last week there was some discussion about this you might check
the mailing list.

Swapnil Sawant sent the following on 8/11/2010 10:33 PM:

Posted by Swapnil Sawant <Sw...@lntinfotech.com>.
Hi Santosh,

The 'rptdesign' file is 'auto-generated code using BIRT GUI' .

We are using this 'auto-generated' code in our ofbiz code after doing step 3 as mentioned in 1st mail of mine.

So when we prepare a report using BIRT GUI tool,in order to test the report, we assign values to the columns in the report . for example,

In a salary report I would not only design/create a field called Employee name but I would also specify as to from which table I wld need to feed the data to this field.

Again to summarize the whole thing, preparing report using BIRT GUI tool involves following two things :

        - designing format of report
        - mapping fields from report to fields of entities in database

Hence, after successful testing when we 'auto-generate' the code, inside open and fetch method of this code we get the code corresponding to "above assignment of ofbiz entity fields to report fields' . This code we have to modify. Apart from this modification we have to do modifications as specified in my first mail's step - 3 .

We are requiring that , we should be able to design and test report on BIRT GUI,generate the code and directly start using it without any modifications.

Thanks & Regards,
Swapnil Sawant | iLabs | L & T Infotech

Plot no. EL - 200,TTC Electronic Zone,Shil-Mahape road,Navi Mumbai - 400 701
Extn: +91 22 6795  4325
Mail: Swapnil.Sawant@lntinfotech.com

www.lntinfotech.com

Posted by Santosh Malviya <sa...@gmail.com>.