Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/01/20 14:14:55 UTC

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Stéphane Rault wrote:
> I'm trying to use the wonderful VFS. It works quite well but I've a
> problem with writing in zip file. Searching for informations, I wonder
> if VFS is still a live project and if sometimes, it will leave the
> sandbox to become a complete Jakarta-Common project ? I want to use it
> in a professionnal application and I need to be sure the project goes
> on (I can't really maintain all that code alone but I can help if
> necessary).
Well, VFS is alive in a manner that I try to fix major problems and
reported bugs.

I decided to go in small steps as I use it in our project as
java.io.File replacement (where possible) and thus have to ensure its
stability. Currently I feel very comfortable about its stability.

As soon as I have more time I would like to implement something like
file-locking.

You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate it
to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months. Not
sure what the community thinks about it.

---
Mario

[vfs] file locking

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
filipdef@cirquedigital.com wrote:
>PS: any specs for what you'd like to do file locking wise?
>It's one of the things I need next, so maybe I can help?

I would like to see what [transaction]
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/transaction/ do and if this could be
used for this purpose.
A first look at it seems promising.

If possible the lock should be passed to the real filesystem too.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Posted by fi...@cirquedigital.com.
> You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate it
> to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months. Not
> sure what the community thinks about it.

Hi -- I use it as a crucial piece of one of my projects
and it's behaving beautifully.. I'm all for moving
it to commons proper..

Cheers,
- Filip

Re: [vfs] sandbox VFS

Posted by Stéphane Rault <ks...@yahoo.fr>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> Well, VFS is alive in a manner that I try to fix major problems and
> reported bugs.

> I decided to go in small steps as I use it in our project as
> java.io.File replacement (where possible) and thus have to ensure its
> stability. Currently I feel very comfortable about its stability.
>
> As soon as I have more time I would like to implement something like
> file-locking.

Yes, and the NFS support would be interesting too.. I saw it in the TO
DO List.

> You are right, I too think its time to discuss a plan how to migrate
> it to commons proper - I planed to poll for it in a couple of months.
> Not sure what the community thinks about it.

Sure that it would be a good idea. !!
So, for now, I decided to keep it in my project but in a secure way (I
encapsulate it in a single class to change it more easily.)
In some weeks, I will be more free time and I will spend some time
reading the sources.

Thanks for answering...

Stéphane.