Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/06/06 13:00:50 UTC

Maven web site and Wiki

Hi,

Here are some facts:
- Our Maven web site contains lots of inaccuracies and would not suffer
from additional documentation
- Some Maven users would be happy to contribute if we gave them easy
tools for that.

The idea:

- Transform our web site from a static web site into a Wiki web site.
- But not any wiki! One that saves topics in XML format. For example the
MoinMoin wiki saves topic in xdocs format (stylebook style unfortunately
but that's not too far from our xdocs format and could probably be
easily modified )
- Second step: hook the wiki to CVS so that modifications are saved in
our Maven CVS, directly in xdocs format. This is possible with MoinMoin
and probably with others too.
- Note: The MoinMoin wiki also has a "comment" field that could be used
as the CVS commit message. We could force the need to have a non-blank
text if we wish to make sure there are commit messages.
- We get automatically CVS email notifications whenever pages are
modified and we can thus easily control the changes made to the wiki and
correct when and if needed.

Conclusion:
- We keep the advantage of our xdocs
- We can still edit xdocs directly should we wish
- Anyone can contribute easily to the documentation and we get good and
up to date Maven documentation.

If we agree, there are things to do:
- We need to find a machine where the wiki could run (it could be a
machine provided by a Friend Of Maven or an Apache one if there's one
available)
- We need someone to look at MoinMoin (or another wiki) to perform the
following:
  - find how to hook it to CVS
  - find how to change the default style to be the Maven style
(stylesheet)
  - find how to modify the DTD so that the xdocs are in the Maven xdocs
format
  - find how to define where xdocs are saved in CVS so that we try to
match the existing locations of xdocs
- We need a Wiki admin

What do you think?

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: Maven web site and Wiki

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Brian,

nope... check:

Rendered page:
http://www.mockobjects.com/wiki

XML view:
http://www.mockobjects.com/wiki/FrontPage?action=format&mimetype=text/xm

This looks very very similar the old stylebook xdoc format to me.

<http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/moin/moin.cgi/MoinDev_2fStorag
e>
> Section 1.3, Pages:
> "The pages are store exactly as they appear in the edit window in text
> format."
>
> (actually this isn't entirely true. I read the code for Page.py and it
> supports loading xml files too; however the default is plain text, and
> theres nothing in there resembling xdoc that I could see)
>
> I've written a few wikis in the past and what MoinMoin are doing is
far
> far easier than attempting to alter the edit-view of the page for
> storage (or, like UseModWiki, just serialize the in-memory page
> structure to disk). If you stored xdoc, and the xdocs could be edited
> directly as you describe, you'd need to implement round-tripping from
> xdoc to wiki markup and back again. Wiki markup isn't particularly
> expressive, I'd be surprised if this could be done well.

Maybe moinmoin stores as text (I haven't even looked at moinmoin
documentation) but with the "action" attribute it is possible to tell it
to transform it in xdocs, so I guess a hook could be used to format
after each edit and store the xml to cvs?

Thanks
-Vincent

> - Baz
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:

If

Re: Maven web site and Wiki

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.

Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

RE: Maven web site and Wiki

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Re: Maven web site and Wiki

Posted by Cocell | Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@cocell.com>.