Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Qiaobing Xie <qi...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/21 23:01:41 UTC

thrift client can't add a column back after it was deleted with cassandra-cli?

Hi,

I am developing a thrift client that inserts and removes columns from a
column-family (using batch_mutate calls). Everything seems to be working
fine - my thrift client can add/retrieve/delete/add back columns as
expected... until I manually deleted a column with cassandra-cli. (I was
trying to test an error scenario in which my client would discover a
missing column and recreated it in the column-family). After I deleted a
column from within cassandra-cli manually, my thrift client detected the
column of that name missing when it tried to get it. So it tried to
recreated a new column with that name along with a bunch of other
columns with a batch_mutate call. The call returned normally and the
other columns were added/updated, but the one that I manually deleted
from cassandra-cli was not added/created in the column family.

I tried to restart my client and cassandra-cli but it didn't help. It
just seemed that my thrift client could no longer add a column with that
name! Finally I destroyed and recreated the whole column-family and the
problem went away.

Any idea what I did wrong?

-Qiaobing

Re: thrift client can't add a column back after it was deleted with cassandra-cli?

Posted by Qiaobing Xie <qi...@gmail.com>.
That makes sense - I think my client uses milliseconds. Thanks for
pointing that out.

-Q

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.