Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2005/06/08 13:55:49 UTC

Re: getTarget() vs getCurrentTarget()

Hi Chandra,

chandra srinivasan wrote:

> I am using svg maps generated by Oracle's Mapviewer product. The svg
> files have a displayLabel() javascript function which calls
> evt.getTarget() to get the mousedover element and displays the label
> text. this works fine in Internet explorer. but not in squiggle or any
> app using JSVGCanvas. if I modify the call to 'getTarget()' to
> getCurrentTarget(). it works fine in both IE and squiggle.

    I'd be interested in getting more information on this as I wasn't
previously aware that ASV incorrectly implemented getTarget - something
that I would most likely have encountered.  Can you provide a small
example that works in ASV (what I'm presuming you are using in IE) and
fails in Batik?

> I don't want to be fixing the scripts in the svg maps since there will
> be many of them.is there anything I could do in my code to handle this
> situation.

    You can break Batik's DOM Event's implementation, it lives in
batik.dom.events.EventSupport, I have no idea what inside Batik
this might break - in my experience this is a really bad idea.
I would suggest submitting a bug report to Oracle as this is only
going to become a bigger issue for them as implementations like
Mozilla and the various mobile vendors move into wider circulation,
they will have to conform to the spec rather than depend on ASV bugs.