Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Tintin <19...@googlemail.com> on 2014/01/13 21:38:42 UTC

Flash Resource for Flex Code

Hello

I'll start at the end and work back. Bare with me! I want to create a .swf
file, to place in a web page, which will comprise an HSlider and above it an
area to display a short image sequence. As the user drags the HSlider from
left to right the image sequence will display the appropriate frame allowing
the user to effectively scrub the movie.

I have tried many, many times to do this using an FLV file and the Flash
Player web plug-in just doesn't interpret the 'seek()' method properly.

This time I thought I would try a different approach. I want my Flex
developed swf to be generic so that I can pass it a parameter defining the
movie which I want it to play and have it load this movie and allow the user
to interact with it. For the movie I want to somehow import an image
sequence into Flash Professional and save this as a resource which my
generic Slider can load and display.

Would anyone be able to suggest if this is possible and how I might go about
it. Alternatively you may have an alternative suggestion. The main thing is
to have a single UI able to load and display any prepared movie resource.

Thank you.

Chris

Re: Flash Resource for Flex Code

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I think I understand.  The only reason I'm suggesting viewstack or
horizontal list is because then you could create your movie.swf/swcs with
Flex instead of Flash Pro which might make it easier to automatically
generate.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Not sure what is in your movie.swc.  But in Flex, you could simply embed
25 frames and stick them into a viewstack and switch the current index
based on the slider.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
IMO, there is a tradeoff.  A multi-frame SWF is a bit tricky to generate
automatically/programatically.  But if you really don't need the frame
sequencing aspects of Flash (where you can keep some assets on screen for
many frames while others come and go), then you could choose to
programatically change the screen instead and just package up 25 embedded
images in a SWF and have code that switches between them.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If these are "still" images (no animation, no video), why not just make a
HorizontalList full of images?  Then you wouldn't need Flash Pro.

-Alex